Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey your a third year, this time last year (or right now if i were you) I was studying for the MCAT. There are good times ahead for you!

Plus I dislike the idea of only having an MD and not a degree before that.

I was worried about not having a degree earlier but I'd obviously just ditch my B.Sc. and run for the MD if accepted.

I'm pretty sure 96 people don't turn down a spot at Queen's which takes only 100, so this document loses some credibility IMO

Side note, for everyone else, I'd imagine that 70/200 spots declined of the initial round sounds good. When you also factor in that many people on the waitlist are accepted elsewhere, I would probably say that anyone in the top 350/500 applicants has a solid shot at Mac.

I heard that Queen's used to have a huge waitlist movement until recently for whatever reason (revamped curriculum or something?). 70 declined spots for Mac sounds about right too. I'm also thinking that the waitlist can't be that huge, right? If only 70 people decline every year it's pretty safe to say that number won't jump up to >140? 50% chance for all of us? :D

Also, regardless of how this turns out, being in the top 350 out of nearly 5000 applicants is something to be very proud of.

I kind of doubt a document published by AFMC would be inaccurate when it comes to stats related to a Canadian faculty of medicine.

So you're saying it's reasonable that of the 100 people initially offered spots at Queen's Medicine, 96 declined in 2012? I find that totally ridiculous

I'm not discrediting the entire thing, but clearly there are some inaccuracies or at least ambiguities

Sarvish - meant interviewees, LOL. Of course, taken in scale, that is a great accomplishment.

So you're saying it's reasonable that of the 100 people initially offered spots at Queen's Medicine, 96 declined in 2012? I find that totally ridiculous

I'm not discrediting the entire thing, but clearly there are some inaccuracies or at least ambiguities

I had heard the thing about high Queen's movement in the past as well, but as I have no supporting evidence I don't wanna use that as a main point.

I get that it seems like a crazy number, I just find it hard to fathom why or how there would be inaccuracies. This is not some outside agency - it's an association of the very medical faculties that conduct this whole process (a very tightly controlled process at that), and clearly schools have the right to withhold some information if they don't want it known. I guess if I had to balance the probability that the publication would be erroneous with the probably that 96 people rejected a Queen's offer, I'd say the latter has a higher probability - for the simple reason that I can't see a logical reason for any errors (at least of any meaningful magnitude) in such an official document.

EDIT: Ps I guess if I had to offer an explanation for a 96% decline rate, I would say this - consider that by only giving out 100 offers, Queen's was likely being highly exclusive on their first pass. These very high quality candidates probably had multiple interviews, and if there was something about Queen's old curriculum that was unappealing to some, I don't find it unreasonable that that many initial offers would get rejected - at least not more so than them deliberately reporting a false number (Especially a false number that makes them look bad)

I had heard the thing about high Queen's movement in the past as well, but as I have no supporting evidence I don't wanna use that as a main point.

I get that it seems like a crazy number, I just find it hard to fathom why or how there would be inaccuracies. This is not some outside agency - it's an association of the very medical faculties that conduct this whole process (a very tightly controlled process at that), and clearly schools have the right to withhold some information if they don't want it known. I guess if I had to balance the probability that the publication would be erroneous with the probably that 96 people rejected a Queen's offer, I'd say the latter has a higher probability - for the simple reason that I can't see a logical reason for any errors (at least of any meaningful magnitude) in such an official document.

EDIT: Ps I guess if I had to offer an explanation for a 96% decline rate, I would say this - consider that by only giving out 100 offers, Queen's was likely being highly exclusive on their first pass. These very high quality candidates probably had multiple interviews, and if there was something about Queen's old curriculum that was unappealing to some, I don't find it unreasonable that that many initial offers would get rejected - at least not more so than them deliberately reporting a false number (Especially a false number that makes them look bad)

That would require a few things to be true that I think are really unlikely

1) The variance admissions is very low. What you are suggesting means there has to be a massive (80%+ at least) overlap not only in the interviewees between schools, but also those accepted. Granted each school has a different process, people's performance varies by day (and interview scores are the most important at many schools) and Queen's is very unique, I find this highly unlikely. I could believe 40-50 out of 100 declining, not 96.

2) People absolutely hate going to Queen's relative to Toronto. I think this is unlikely because it's an awesome atmosphere, a great, modern school and a good program with a pretty good health center attached to it. If nothing else, you would imagine many people from Eastern Ontario/Quebec would be more likely to attend Queen's because of its proximity to home.

3) The MD admissions system in Ontario was significantly different two years ago from now, which I think is far-fetched as well. I can't imagine many people who interviewed at Queen's REALLY don't want to go there.

So while I agree, some overlap makes sense (particularly because Queen's is the Easternmost school in Ontario, may be far from home for many and is relatively expensive), a 96% decline rate seems crazy.

I disagree. Th

That would require a few things to be true that I think are really unlikely

1) The variance admissions is very low. What you are suggesting means there has to be a massive (80%+ at least) overlap not only in the interviewees between schools, but also those accepted. Granted each school has a different process, people's performance varies by day (and interview scores are the most important at many schools) and Queen's is very unique, I find this highly unlikely. I could believe 40-50 out of 100 declining, not 96.

2) People absolutely hate going to Queen's relative to Toronto. I think this is unlikely because it's an awesome atmosphere, a great, modern school and a good program with a pretty good health center attached to it. If nothing else, you would imagine many people from Eastern Ontario/Quebec would be more likely to attend Queen's because of its proximity to home.

3) The MD admissions system in Ontario was significantly different two years ago from now, which I think is far-fetched as well. I can't imagine many people who interviewed at Queen's REALLY don't want to go there.

So while I agree, some overlap makes sense (particularly because Queen's is the Easternmost school in Ontario, may be far from home for many and is relatively expensive), a 96% decline rate seems crazy.

I disagree. Th

Haha fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. The only thing I'll point out is that the stats in that book are from those seeking admission for 08-09, so that was six years ago. But either way haha

Haha fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. The only thing I'll point out is that the stats in that book are from those seeking admission for 08-09, so that was six years ago. But either way haha

Hey, maybe you're right, and I'm wrong. You have a report on your side, I just have conjecture so, I guess the burden of proof is on me. Regardless, good luck to you if you're still waiting for an offer at your first choice!

Hey, maybe you're right, and I'm wrong. You have a report on your side, I just have conjecture so, I guess the burden of proof is on me. Regardless, good luck to you if you're still waiting for an offer at your first choice!

Ya who knows really could also be the way they define their categories, or 'ambiguities' as you had pointed out. Either way thank you and you too!

aweee but we ended the discussion so amicably. haha

Calgary's can be justified a bit easier actually, since they don't have the system where accepting one school puts you out of the running for another. Many people could have accepted offers from Calgary initially and been waitlisted at Alberta, but then declined to go to Alberta once they got off the waitlist.

That's not even to mention OOP applicants - they usually give out about 60 offers to fill up to 15 seats, and don't even fill them all up.

Just to point out for the Queen's stats - these were from the 2007 and 2008 cycles only, not the 2012 as mentioned. This was around the time that the school was on probation or was having accreditation problems, so many medical applicants didn't find this school as appealing. Since then they have completely revamped their program/curriculum and become one of Canada's best med schools leading to a very low waitlist movement.

In terms of Mac, there is generally a very large waitlist movement, probably of around 75 applicants (at least!). So to everyone on the waitlist, be happy thinking that you're at the med school with one of the highest turnovers and best of luck to everyone!

Just to point out for the Queen's stats - these were from the 2007 and 2008 cycles only, not the 2012 as mentioned. This was around the time that the school was on probation or was having accreditation problems, so many medical applicants didn't find this school as appealing. Since then they have completely revamped their program/curriculum and become one of Canada's best med schools leading to a very low waitlist movement.

In terms of Mac, there is generally a very large waitlist movement, probably of around 75 applicants (at least!). So to everyone on the waitlist, be happy thinking that you're at the med school with one of the highest turnovers and best of luck to everyone!

So you're right Silverwolf, and I'm wrong I guess :) My fault for flying off the handlebars without doing my due research

Sarvish - meant interviewees, LOL. Of course, taken in scale, that is a great accomplishment.

I thought the doc was saying that 100 accepted their offer, and 96 declined their offer.

A lot has changed since they last published those stats so I'd be wary about following them.

Waitlisters... Hang in there, next two weeks will go by painstakingly slow but i hope theres good news at the end of it for many of you, whether it be Mac or another school

Mac's been my dream school for a while now so really hoping for good news. IFTTT is already set up since I don't have data on my phone. Next 2 weeks are going to be so much fun... :rolleyes:

At least if we get in now, the acceptance would be even more shocking and awesome.

Mac's been my dream school for a while now so really hoping for good news. IFTTT is already set up since I don't have data on my phone. Next 2 weeks are going to be so much fun... :rolleyes:

At least if we get in now, the acceptance would be even more shocking and awesome.

And if we don't we know we made it a bit farther than we would have if it was a straight out rejection!

Dear fellow wait listees,

It's my understanding that we need to email Western and let them know we wish to remain on the wait list. Is there such a policy at mcmaster too? I read the email and there was no indication of this, however I wanted to double check with you guys. Thanks :)

Dear fellow wait listees,

It's my understanding that we need to email Western and let them know we wish to remain on the wait list. Is there such a policy at mcmaster too? I read the email and there was no indication of this, however I wanted to double check with you guys. Thanks :)

I don't believe there is.

I don't believe there is.

Queen's is not one of the most competitive and desired schools - things change quickly and the waitlist at queen's does not supposedly move that much anymore.

MAC's waitlist is also curious - I would think it wouldn't move much, butt hey have a huge class size. Good luck to those that are on the WL.

Queen's is not one of the most competitive and desired schools - things change quickly and the waitlist at queen's does not supposedly move that much anymore.

MAC's waitlist is also curious - I would think it wouldn't move much, butt hey have a huge class size. Good luck to those that are on the WL.

Took a tally of premed data from 2011-2013, comparing # of acceptance posts and # of acceptance off waitlist posts. Incidence shows on average about 64 people are accepted off of the waitlist each year

Archived