Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I was thinking of sending a letter/email of intent. Would Wendy be the person to send that to?

I've heard of this in the US but in Canada a letter won't affect your chances. The list has been ranked and you won't be bumped ahead of anyone else by sending in a letter.

Anyone willing to bite the bullet and call them to find out when the first movement is expected?

I got a response from Wendy on this issue.

She said wait list spots will be offered as they become available but the timing is determined by when applicants respond to/decline their offers.

Good chance some of us on WL will hear before 26th if enough people turn down offer early.

Looking back at this whole process, I'd say that I'm definitely feeling more humble after having been put on the waitlist. I think I was too confident before and this may have come across as being too cocky during my interviews. I'm thinking that might have been one of my shortcomings in this applications cycle. Does anyone else feel this way?

I definitely see what you mean. I felt super confident after my interview and was a bit surprised by being waitlisted! A humbling experience indeed.

On the other hand, though, I think it's important that we aren't too hard on ourselves for not making the initial cut. The fact that we were put on the waitlist means that nothing happened in our interviews that made anyone say that they DON'T want us in the program. Rather, the way the algorithms and numbers worked out put us lower on the rank list. It's not like the admissions committee discusses each of us individually and decides that they like this person more than that person or whatever. Know what I mean?

#I'vehadalotoftimetothinkaboutthis

I definitely see what you mean. I felt super confident after my interview and was a bit surprised by being waitlisted! A humbling experience indeed.

On the other hand, though, I think it's important that we aren't too hard on ourselves for not making the initial cut. The fact that we were put on the waitlist means that nothing happened in our interviews that made anyone say that they DON'T want us in the program. Rather, the way the algorithms and numbers worked out put us lower on the rank list. It's not like the admissions committee discusses each of us individually and decides that they like this person more than that person or whatever. Know what I mean?

You do being up a good point. Being on the waitlist is a lot better than being rejected.

more like #I'vebeencompulsivelyobsessingoverthissincedayone

You guys made me think the waitlist had started moving. :P

My feelings about it change every day, sometimes I'm super excited that it wasn't a rejection and other days I wish I had done just that little bit better for an acceptance.

You guys made me think the waitlist had started moving. :P

My feelings about it change every day, sometimes I'm super excited that it wasn't a rejection and other days I wish I had done just that little bit better for an acceptance.

likewise. some days I feel confident about an imminent acceptance, and others I feel despondent about a negative outcome

Same here. I felt great about interview. Still do - no matter how many times I review it I can't find many things I would have changed about my answers. Obviously it wasn't perfect, but given the circumstances I feel like I did quite well, but I guess not, at least in comparison.

Not sure what's worse - not doing your best (in which case you can explain it away but always have the regret) or doing something close to your best and still not getting in, in which case you can't help but feel a sense of failure. In the long run it's probably better to be in the latter situation, but it still is tough.

Hey do you guys know when the waitlist will start moving for all the schools. I've been getting more and more pissed about med schools in Ontario everyday.

I interviewed everywhere in ontario and got waitlisted everywhere. Couldn't believe my luck....

what are the chances of getting off the waitlist at Mac?

Hey do you guys know when the waitlist will start moving for all the schools. I've been getting more and more pissed about med schools in Ontario everyday.

I interviewed everywhere in ontario and got waitlisted everywhere. Couldn't believe my luck....

Thats uncanny. I must sasy its hilarious tho

what are the chances of getting off the waitlist at Mac?

I'd say that chances to get in off the waitlist are pretty good at Mac. It seems to have one of the biggest movements every year. I calculated it before and its something like 46-55% of interviewees get accepted. And usually a lot of people on the waitlist have an acceptance somewhere else so everyone gets bumped up.

Good luck and I hope next week brings everyone good news :)

Archived