Premed 101 Forums

I wrote the MCAT last year and got 30 (VR 9). I'm planning to apply this year but my GPA isn't that high (3.74) so I was hoping to write the MCAT again this summer.

But now that UofC requires you to write the 2015 MCAT if you want to apply in the 2015/16 cycle, should I just cancel the MCAT this summer and then write the new MCAT next year if I don't get in?

:confused:

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same GPA as you for this cycle and the same VR score (although my overall score is lower- 28). My plan is to re-write anyways and hope to score high enough to be competitive this time around.

Why wait a year if you don't have to? Unless you are just going into third year of UG, then I would say it was a toss up!

I wrote the MCAT last year and got 30 (VR 9). I'm planning to apply this year but my GPA isn't that high (3.74) so I was hoping to write the MCAT again this summer.

But now that UofC requires you to write the 2015 MCAT if you want to apply in the 2015/16 cycle, should I just cancel the MCAT this summer and then write the new MCAT next year if I don't get in?

:confused:

I'm assuming you're IP?

If you're going to wait until 2015 to apply then yes. If you can apply this upcoming 2014 cycle then I would retake it and put my best foot forward.

Calgary doesn't penalize for multiple MCAT attempts so if you feel you can increase your score this summer there is certainly no harm in retaking it this year, and then writing the new one next year. It's always a slog to rewrite multiple years in a row but it's not the end of the world either (I wrote it three years in a row...yuck!)

Just be cautious if you are planning on applying to other schools as well, some aren't as generous with multiple MCAT retakes. I know the US is very hard on multiple MCAT writes, but I would also investigate other potential Canadian schools before rewriting again. You don't want to accidently shoot yourself in the foot.

• 1 month later...

Archived