Premed 101 Forums

Presenting Research - Need Help Badly!

uoftpremed

Hey everyone, my application to present my research at a conference has been accepted. on the application i put down "poster/oral" as the presentation type. i wasn't even sure what these meant and had a deadline to meet. so now that the schedule is out, my name has been put in the poster presentation section but i still have the option of doing an oral presentation. help me out here, and please forgive my ignorance... this is the first time i am doing this... should i go for the oral presentation or the poster? how do they differ and what are the advantages/disadvantages? truth be told i am kinda nervous to present in front of large crowds especially when these people are amazing researchers i admire and so distinguished in their field.. but i should probably challenge myself and get used to this if i want to be in med anyways... I would love to hear your thoughts if you have experience with this or advice to offer! thanks so much in advance :)

Hey everyone, my application to present my research at a conference has been accepted. on the application i put down "poster/oral" as the presentation type. i wasn't even sure what these meant and had a deadline to meet. so now that the schedule is out, my name has been put in the poster presentation section but i still have the option of doing an oral presentation. help me out here, and please forgive my ignorance... this is the first time i am doing this... should i go for the oral presentation or the poster? how do they differ and what are the advantages/disadvantages? truth be told i am kinda nervous to present in front of large crowds especially when these people are amazing researchers i admire and so distinguished in their field.. but i should probably challenge myself and get used to this if i want to be in med anyways... I would love to hear your thoughts if you have experience with this or advice to offer! thanks so much in advance :)

Oral presentations are often more prestigious so I would recommend going for that.

Oral presentation means you'll be assigned a timeslot to give a powerpoint presentation to a group. Poster presentation means you'll be assigned a bulletinboard on which to attach a poster of your findings in a room with many other bulletin boards/posters. Attendees will walk around the room to look at the posters and for a assigned period you'll be expected to be there to answer questions about your work. Poster is far less stressful and probably a good route for you if this is your first conference. I'd talk to your PI/supervisor about what they think might be best, though.

Archived