Premed 101 Forums

UofT vs McMaster

U of T versus Mac:

- Please keep in mind that I'm not as familiar with Mac, so I'm biased.

- Teaching style is very, very different - Mac does a lot of PBL (most of their learning is done that way), U of T does some but you get traditional lectures most of the time (U of T has a very traditional curriculum).

- You finish med school in 3 years with Mac (but get shorter summer breaks) versus Toronto where you finish in 4 years (but get longer summer breaks in 1st & 2nd year).

- At U of T, you get to do you own dissections of cadavers, not in other med schools where you see already dissected cadavers (prosections).

- If you have a great interest in research, the opportunities to get involved in research are incredible at U of T, and it's very easy to shadow docs (there are so many teaching hospitals all over, and so many docs who are willing to let you shadow them). I don't know about Mac.

- One disadvantage of U of T is that we are a big, big class, so we sometimes feel like a number in the crowd.

- Another disadvantage is that it's very expensive to live in Toronto.

- Other considerations: location, other expenses (travelling), family, friends...

-Also think about where you want to match for residency. In medical school, you will likely be trained by or have the opportunity to shadow many physicians that are either on the admissions committee or know physicians that are. These are the people who you will likely ask for references/make connections with to help you with CARMS.

U of T versus Mac:

- Please keep in mind that I'm not as familiar with Mac, so I'm biased.

- Teaching style is very, very different - Mac does a lot of PBL (most of their learning is done that way), U of T does some but you get traditional lectures most of the time (U of T has a very traditional curriculum).

- You finish med school in 3 years with Mac (but get shorter summer breaks) versus Toronto where you finish in 4 years (but get longer summer breaks in 1st & 2nd year).

- At U of T, you get to do you own dissections of cadavers, not in other med schools where you see already dissected cadavers (prosections).

- If you have a great interest in research, the opportunities to get involved in research are incredible at U of T, and it's very easy to shadow docs (there are so many teaching hospitals all over, and so many docs who are willing to let you shadow them). I don't know about Mac.

- One disadvantage of U of T is that we are a big, big class, so we sometimes feel like a number in the crowd.

- Another disadvantage is that it's very expensive to live in Toronto.

- Other considerations: location, other expenses (travelling), family, friends...

Archived