Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist into VFMP

Just wondering what the likelihood of this happening is?

Depends on lots of factors, two of which you know for sure: IP/OOP status and your %GPA.

If you are OOP, you stand a better chance of getting off that waitlist. Also, the higher your GPA, the better your chance. This is based on my personal observations from previous years, but with so many changes made to the admission process this year, no one really knows. So sit tight and keep your fingers crossed.

Is this even potentially admissible?

Not sure what you mean by admissible. If you are asking whether people with worse stats were accepted in previous years, then my answer is "yes".

Whether one gets off the waitlist really depends on his/her rank on that list. The final ranking of applicants is a holistic process that takes into account many factors (gpa, ECs, ref letters, interview, mcat etc). Of all these, only the gpa and mcat are clear to waitlisters. Traditionally, the higher your GPA, the better your chance of getting off the waitlist (my personal observation).

Also, I say OOPs have higher chance of getting off the waitlist (at least during the initial waitlist movement) b/c most OOPs are usually highly ranked (they faced higher cut-offs pre-interview). Also, traditionally, a fair # of OOPs gave up their spots (b/c they had acceptances at multiple schools), and these spots will go to the next highly ranked applicant on the waitlist (usually OOPs). IPs are less likely to give up their spots even if they have multiple acceptances (they loved BC too much!!). On the flip-side, there are only 29 OOP spots, and once all 29 OOP spots are filled, the remaining unfilled spots will go to waitlisted IPs.

In short, no one knows the chance of one getting off the waitlist. It really depends on your rank on that list (which you can only guess based on your GPA), and also on the number of accepted applicants who gave up their spots.

I understand how nerve-wrecking it must feel to be on the waitlist! But don't give up as long as there is hope. Having come this far, you should all be proud of yourselves! I wish you all the best!!! :)

I understand how nerve-wrecking it must feel to be on the waitlist!

Haha, have you been on the waitlist before? :P

There are actually two lists, because the number of seats for IP and the number of seats for OOP are basically pre-determined.

They offer enough positions so that they can fill almost all of their IP seats and almost all of their OOP seats. Despite the fact that there is a predictable proportion of people who turn down their offers in both the IP and OOP groups, they don't want to offer to more people than there are numbers of seats in case by statistical chance too many people accept their offers. This is why the waitlist is necessary.

A higher proportion of people on the IP list accept their offers versus the OOP list. This follows from the observation that many IP applicants are applying exclusively to UBC and are less likely to have option to select from multiple medical schools (i.e. they are competitive as IP but not OOP). Whereas OOP students may be competitive at multiple schools and will be more likely to turn down an offer at any given school. However, based on historical % rates of people in either pool who accept offers, admissions can account for this when creating the size of the waitlists (and create an IP waitlist that is proportionally smaller since fewer people will turn down the offer). So there's no reason to think that you are more or less likely to get in from the IP versus OOP waitlist (despite some observations that OOP waitlists have moved better in past years).

The waitlist is a ranked list based on multiple factors which nobody really knows, but seems to include GPA and interview scores (which we all know are among the most important factors anyway). Thus, if you are at the bottom of the waitlist it is unlikely you'll get in, but there is no way to know where you are in the list. Therefore, all of the aforementioned information is basically useless to anyone on the waitlist because it cannot be used to predict your chances of being accepted from the waitlist.

Finally, I personally know one student who got in off the waitlist about 5 or 6 days before classes started in late August. So, anything can happen. Good luck everybody! :D

Any "potential" hopes for getting off of the waitlist with

IP

oGPA: 86%

pre-req: 85%

MCAT 31 (VR=10)

Interview = no idea

Is this even potentially admissible?

Absolutely you have a chance. Forget the above stats. If you are on the waitlist then you have a chance. Maybe your interview score was sky high.

If you get accepted, it will most likely be within the next few "rounds of offers" over the coming weeks.

Haha, have you been on the waitlist before? :P

There are actually two lists, because the number of seats for IP and the number of seats for OOP are basically pre-determined.

They offer enough positions so that they can fill almost all of their IP seats and almost all of their OOP seats. Despite the fact that there is a predictable proportion of people who turn down their offers in both the IP and OOP groups, they don't want to offer to more people than there are numbers of seats in case by statistical chance too many people accept their offers. This is why the waitlist is necessary.

A higher proportion of people on the IP list accept their offers versus the OOP list. This follows from the observation that many IP applicants are applying exclusively to UBC and are less likely to have option to select from multiple medical schools (i.e. they are competitive as IP but not OOP). Whereas OOP students may be competitive at multiple schools and will be more likely to turn down an offer at any given school. However, based on historical % rates of people in either pool who accept offers, admissions can account for this when creating the size of the waitlists (and create an IP waitlist that is proportionally smaller since fewer people will turn down the offer). So there's no reason to think that you are more or less likely to get in from the IP versus OOP waitlist (despite some observations that OOP waitlists have moved better in past years).

The waitlist is a ranked list based on multiple factors which nobody really knows, but seems to include GPA and interview scores (which we all know are among the most important factors anyway). Thus, if you are at the bottom of the waitlist it is unlikely you'll get in, but there is no way to know where you are in the list. Therefore, all of the aforementioned information is basically useless to anyone on the waitlist because it cannot be used to predict your chances of being accepted from the waitlist.

Finally, I personally know one student who got in off the waitlist about 5 or 6 days before classes started in late August. So, anything can happen. Good luck everybody! :D

For the record, regarding the above post, in the words of Big Lebowski...

Yeah, well, that's just, like, [my] opinion, man

:o

Archived