Premed 101 Forums

waterloo vs Mac difficulty

Was wondering if there is any general consensus on which of these two universities is the easier one. I know its not really fair to say based on anecdotal evidence but since no one went to both of them, at least I'm assuming so, any opinions/experiences would be appreciated

Forgot to mention, I'm talking about life science in both

Guest cw2lu

I'm a Uwaterloo student (Biomed). Just finished my first year.

In grade 12 I got an 83% final average and for my first year I got 91.3% as a final average. I got more ECs done and I studied more actively this year. I don't know about Mac though.

UWaterloo biomed is notoriously easy. Waterloo's challenging programs are engineering and mathematics. Biomed hands out A+s like lollypops.

McMaster's ease is once again based on program. Everyone in health sciences will come out with a 3.9+ (most 3.95+) for basically having a pulse and doing the basic group work. Many courses, you can even grade yourselves or colleagues on some aspects. However their regular science courses are more rigourous and have standards when it comes to mark distribution.

Be VERY careful in choosing your undergrad. I did Western biomed - which compared to places like Queen's and Toronto is very very easy, but is still a bit more challenging than mac health sciences and a whole slew of other bird programs that have cropped up in Ontario over the last few years. If you want meds, find the birdiest program you can - and then make sure that you do well on the mcat and rack up the ECs as needed. After that, there is still a bit of luck, but you'll be in the game!!

Guest cw2lu

I wouldn't say biomed at Uwaterloo is considered to be extremely easy. You still have to work hard to get an A+. The averages on mid terms for my program tend to be in the 60s and 50s, typical uni averages.

In terms of bird courses, they're only bird courses if you like them and/or find them interesting.

I took Intro to Microeconomics in my first semester because people said it was an easy course. Now, they didn't lie, it was an easy course. The concepts were straight forward and all that was needed in that class was pure memorization. But I hated that course because it was so damn boring and my classes were 3 hrs long, I skipped like 2 of them. Then the final came, I didn't even want to study for it. Every time I opened up my book I would read passively for 15 minutes tops and then screw around on youtube or facebook. I ended up with an 81.

I learned my lesson the hard way. Then I took French in my second semester and I loved the course. It was really interactive and fun and I also had some hippie sitting next to me who would blurt out random stuff in class all the time. I killed the final exam and got a final mark of 100%.

UWaterloo biomed is notoriously easy. Waterloo's challenging programs are engineering and mathematics. Biomed hands out A+s like lollypops.

McMaster's ease is once again based on program. Everyone in health sciences will come out with a 3.9+ (most 3.95+) for basically having a pulse and doing the basic group work. Many courses, you can even grade yourselves or colleagues on some aspects. However their regular science courses are more rigourous and have standards when it comes to mark distribution.

Be VERY careful in choosing your undergrad. I did Western biomed - which compared to places like Queen's and Toronto is very very easy, but is still a bit more challenging than mac health sciences and a whole slew of other bird programs that have cropped up in Ontario over the last few years. If you want meds, find the birdiest program you can - and then make sure that you do well on the mcat and rack up the ECs as needed. After that, there is still a bit of luck, but you'll be in the game!!

Western can be easy. It can be hard. This depends on the courses you take. Don't let taking bird courses give you the false perception the school is easy since I can assure you this does not apply to all programs/courses.

I'm not entirely sure what program you're aiming for OP but like others will say, go for the program that genuinely interests you. Each school, whether it's Mac or Waterloo, will have its fair share of easy and difficult courses. I realize this doesn't really help with your decision but you can obtain a fine GPA at either university.

Archived