Premed 101 Forums

UCAN Rounding

Hey everyone,

This is a super pre-med-loser question to ask but if your GPA is a 3.898, and your school transcript has a rounding down policy that displays it as 3.89, when you enter your grades into UCAN, does it round up to 3.90?

I understand that the calculated UCAN GPA is the one that is used in the admissions process.

Cheers and congrats to the newly admitted!

Hey everyone,

This is a super pre-med-loser question to ask but if your GPA is a 3.898, and your school transcript has a rounding down policy that displays it as 3.89, when you enter your grades into UCAN, does it round up to 3.90?

I understand that the calculated UCAN GPA is the one that is used in the admissions process.

I don't know but you should definitely be concerned. 3.89 is MUCH worse than 3.90 and I think that will push admissions over the edge with our application. Maybe look into a new career or drop out of university altogether? ;)

Hey everyone,

Hey, this is straight from UCAN although paraphrased "enter your grades as they appear on your official transcript".

So given that statement, stick with the 3.89. The above poster, albeit facetious, perhaps will give you some comfort in the fact that the difference between 3.89 and 3.90 is really not going to be the deal breaker.

Thanks,

So, do you just directly input your GPA itself into UCAN as shown on your transcript or do you enter your letter grades and their credit weight and UCAN performs its own calculation?

Enter the letter grades and credit weight, UCAN will perform its own calculation. Then you have to click "I agree" after it spits out a number. It'll probably give you a 3.90 if it actually does round up as you say, so you don't have to worry.

Echoing what others have said, I'm pretty sure rounding won't be the definitive factor in your application. Take a look at last year's stats to figure out how large the standard deviation is in GPA, then figure out how much of a difference to your score a 0.01 discrepancy would make.

That being said, if you're on the borderline of qualifying to even apply (3.2 or 3.8 for OOP), you should definitely worry, although in that situation you probably should be making a big push to raise your GPA as you're not likely going to be very competitive even if you're just a hair over the line.

I seem to remember UCAN properly rounding my GPA to the nearest 100th. You can always start an application this summer when UCAN reopens and enter your grades to test it out. It's the only way to know for certain.

Archived