Premed 101 Forums

PT vs. Dentistry

Hi Guys

I am lost in terms of which one of these careers to pick: Dentistry or PT. I have done my Masters in Rehab Science (thesis Based). Have a decent GPA 3.7ish, Have written the DAT although didnt have time to study and got low 20s and got an interview offer from western but got rejected. Now I am 25 and have applied to Dentistry 2 times without focusing on DAT, so I'm wondering if this year I should put the time and money to redo DAT, but after all if its even a good idea.I can get into PT pretty easily meanwhile. I know PTs do make good money but not as great as dentists and I know dentists do burn out eventually. If you guys have any feedback or any opinion please let me know.

If money is your main reason don't choose dentistry. You may burn out even before becoming a dentist and dentists don't make a lot anymore in any urban areas in North America (considering the time + opportunity costs). If you like the profession however keep trying until there is no future regret. There are many retired dentists who come to our faculty to teach students simply because they love dentistry.

Hi Guys

I am lost in terms of which one of these careers to pick: Dentistry or PT. I have done my Masters in Rehab Science (thesis Based). Have a decent GPA 3.7ish, Have written the DAT although didnt have time to study and got low 20s and got an interview offer from western but got rejected. Now I am 25 and have applied to Dentistry 2 times without focusing on DAT, so I'm wondering if this year I should put the time and money to redo DAT, but after all if its even a good idea.I can get into PT pretty easily meanwhile. I know PTs do make good money but not as great as dentists and I know dentists do burn out eventually. If you guys have any feedback or any opinion please let me know.

It sounds like you aren't particularly passionate about either. Because you didn't mention anything about what you like more. I would recommend you shadow both, do some reflection, and figure out which you want before committing the rest of your life to something.

It's hard to study for something that you don't care much for. People who do well on standardized exams, not only have to be smart, but have to be driven. You become driven by having a passion and a desire. Sounds like you have neither, and are destined to be ****ty whichever way you go.

So in my opinion, the idea shouldn't be which you can get in to, but instead.. which you want to do. If you dedicate yourself to it, you'll get there....

Archived