Premed 101 Forums

Should I take the new or old MCAT?

With the new requirements for MCAT just-in from the UAlberta, I feel a little cheated given that I had signed up for the old MCAT this summer hoping to use the old MCAT for at least a second cycle unfortunately this is no longer possible. UAlberta is only accepting the new MCAT after the 2014-2015 cycle.

I wanted to know if I should take the old or the new MCAT given my GPA isn't first-rate and is currently sitting at a 3.5 with stellar ECs and high upward trend for GPA since first year. I am currently going into third year, and if applying in the next cycle will be applying as a second/third year applicant. I understand the competitiveness of this category is exceptionally high, but would still like a second opinion.

Should I cancel my currently registered MCAT?

Given offers for the 2014/2015 cycle have come and gone that would mean if you didn't get in this year, you would need the new MCAT would it not? I haven't looked into U of C and if they are requiring the new MCAT or if they are allowing the old one for a couple years, but if they follow U of A and don't accept the older one I think you're wasting money. That's completely dependant on if U of C is, or isn't, going to accept the old MCAT though.

Also, if your GPA is sitting around a 3.5, ultimately your choice, but personally I would say save your money as a 2nd/3rd year applicant. I don't know if anyone has gotten in 3rd year with a 3.5 in all honesty. It's possible, I'm just stating my opinion.

Given offers for the 2014/2015 cycle have come and gone that would mean if you didn't get in this year, you would need the new MCAT would it not?

I believe the offers were for the 2013/2014 cycle, as the U of C admissions website suggests that the 2014/2015 cycle will start on July 15 2014.

Additionally, as for the question of new versus old, consider the amount of money and time you will be spending on the MCAT. If you were not to get in this cycle, you will have to repeat the time and money spent writing the new MCAT. That seems a little frustrating to me.

If you are only going into your third year, why not wait, spend an additional summer doing the things that you need to do (i.e. make money to pay for tuition or continue serving the communities to which you have been committed)? Then write in the new MCAT in 2015 with the ability to apply in the future.

Just my two cents.

Archived