Premed 101 Forums

Questions about UVic / IMP

Couple questions about UVic/IMP vs UBC/VFMP.

Is it a disadvantage, career-wise to go to IMP?

Research opportunities?

Clerkships with less possible mentors to write rec letters?

Going to IMP will in no way impact your future career as a physician. Sure you might not have the research opportunities that VFMP has but your letters for CaRMS comes from your rotations and electives. The focus of a competitive applicant really has shifted to "is this person someone I can see myself working with in the future".

I see no disadvantage to heading to the island and that's coming from someone who is at VFMP.

Going to IMP will in no way impact your future career as a physician. Sure you might not have the research opportunities that VFMP has but your letters for CaRMS comes from your rotations and electives. The focus of a competitive applicant really has shifted to "is this person someone I can see myself working with in the future".

I see no disadvantage to heading to the island and that's coming from someone who is at VFMP.

Definitely agree. I'm at the IMP now and there are no disadvantages. Plenty of people are involved in research (although there is less variety than there is in Vancouver, but it's not any less valuable for your applications). And reference letters will come from 3rd/4th year. It doesn't matter where the letters come from (you will get plenty of time with preceptors so that they can write you a letter) and in 4th year you can do your electives wherever you'd like. The biggest factor is do you want to live in Victoria for 3 years and do you prefer a smaller group for lectures/small group sessions (i.e. we have a higher preceptor to student ratio for clinical skills). Two fourth years from the IMP matched to optho this year and that's one of the hardest specialties to match to.

TLDR: No there isn't :P

• 4 weeks later...
Two fourth years from the IMP matched to optho this year and that's one of the hardest specialties to match to.

Thanks for the info!

Is it usually disclosed the detailed breakdown of the specialties that a class is matched into? I am interested in radiology. Do you know how many in IMP matched to radiology?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

Is it usually disclosed the detailed breakdown of the specialties that a class is matched into? I am interested in radiology. Do you know how many in IMP matched to radiology?

Thanks!

Not really. The IMP has all of the info and you could definitely get it from student affairs if you wanted it. We were shown a graph of the IMP matches from the past 10 years during a lunch time presentation. It's usually about 50 percent each year that go into family and 50 percent into other specialties.

I only know the optho stat because I know a couple of the fourth years. I'm not sure about radiology, sorry (I don't think many people from the IMP have ranked it as their first choice though).

I still believe you would have just as good of a shot matching to radiology as you would in Vancouver though. It may mean moving in the summer if you're keen on doing a certain research project etc. but that's too hard to predict. If you're passionate about it, you'll find the resources you need. Plus 4th year is the most important for getting reference letters and those electives can be anywhere.

Archived