Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering abroad

Just google some different organizations. Keep in mind that almost all volunteering trips won't accomplish much in a couple days. Last summer, after I worked for 3 months and saved up enough money, I went with Unite for Sight. I wasn't planning to do medical work, I was excited to spend time learning about the culture and really liked eye health.

Was it my fault that I could only go for a month? I don't think so since I had to work. So if med schools think "oh it wasn't a long enough commitment" or "it probably didn't accomplish much", I don't really care. I did my research and found that the best part of Unite for Sight was that it brings volunteers to support local optometry clinics during outreaches and to observe surgeries. We don't do the medical work nor is it like other medical mission trips where we bring our own resources, treat people, then leave after a short period (highly unethical). Those clinics will continue to do screenings whether volunteers are there or not so you know it is a sustainable program and well-established internationally.

My advice is to find out what you want to do abroad or where you would like to go, and what your intentions are. Also, do lots of research so you aren't supporting a money-drain organization that doesn't really help anyone or that you are doing things outside of your capacities.

Just google some different organizations. Keep in mind that almost all volunteering trips won't accomplish much in a couple days.

My advice is to find out what you want to do abroad or where you would like to go, and what your intentions are. Also, do lots of research so you aren't supporting a money-drain organization that doesn't really help anyone or that you are doing things outside of your capacities.

+1. Also, to really reiterate the above, very little can be accomplished in a few days or even in just 1 or 2 weeks. That's more like a volunteer holiday.

Not to dissuade anyone who genuinely has stuff to do in such a time frame (because perhaps it is part of an ongoing project, or the logistics and stuff has been well planned out in advance, etc etc.) BUT unless such prior planning has taken place, it might be hard to a) get much in terms of deliverables and thus B) explain that and justify your need to be abroad (as opposed to staying at home and helping out in the community!).

Sorry for not actually answering your question. In addition to what's been posted, some schools, particularly big ones, have very established research/volunteering trips that involve student groups or even professors. I find those quite good because if you were to follow up on your summer work, then a future research position may not be too out of the question. You can think of these in terms of either i) what they do (community health? water and sanitation projects? etc.) and ii) where they do it (which country), to help guide your decision.

Archived