Premed 101 Forums

Is research experience mandatory for med schools?

Guest qwertyy

I can see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree.

The first function of a doctor is patient care. Being a clinician scientist is second.

Research is not mandatory at any medical school. Nor do you need it to be a doctor. 

truly the only skill you have to have is the ability to actually analyze research - so you can continue to update yourself on new information and maintain your standard of care. For the most part even that mean reading only the updates to clinical guidelines etc.

there are doctors at every academic hospital I have ever been at that simply do no research at all - let alone the community ones where access to research opportunities would be vastly less. Medicine is very diverse - the only thing you simply have to be good at is clinical medicine. That is and will for the vast, vast majority of doctors be their primary task.

Medicine advances thanks to research. You will not succeed in med school or as a doc if you despise research.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Completely false. Most physicians work in the community and have no research role in their practice. Even a portion of academic center physicians don't like research and don't do anything beyond the bare minimum to keep their appointments.

As for applications, it's not going to hurt you if you have it but it's also not crucial. Medical school apps are all about how you present/sell yourself. You can compensate for a lack of research by promoting other areas of your applications. Just like someone who has lots of research but little leadership experience will have to promote themselves accordingly. For example, I had no research experience and I got admitted to 3 of the 4 med schools I applied to (including 2 as an OOP).

I don't think medhope15 means necessarily doing research - but you have to have a general appreciation for research and be able to understand it as a physician. You don't have to partake in research to enjoy reading about it and keeping updated with the most current standard of care.

truly the only skill you have to have is the ability to actually analyze research - so you can continue to update yourself on new information and maintain your standard of care. For the most part even that mean reading only the updates to clinical guidelines etc.

there are doctors at every academic hospital I have ever been at that simply do no research at all - let alone the community ones where access to research opportunities would be vastly less. Medicine is very diverse - the only thing you simply have to be good at is clinical medicine. That is and will for the vast, vast majority of doctors be their primary task.

yep. you do need to critically appraise literature for sure. I agree!

Archived