Premed 101 Forums

What goes on a CARMS app exactly?

I have a quick question. Just curouos about this topic. Do you put things like research you did while you were an undergrad prior to med? Volunteering, employment etc... before med. Or is it limited to things you do while in medical school? Also, is undergrad gpa taken into consideration?

I have a quick question. Just curouos about this topic. Do you put things like research you did while you were an undergrad prior to med? Volunteering, employment etc... before med. Or is it limited to things you do while in medical school? Also, is undergrad gpa taken into consideration?

yes you certainly can put those things on. Usually the more recent the more relevant but it is not limited by any means to just medical school.

at some places, all be it relatively rare, they do request your UG transcripts etc and look at your grades. It really depends on the program you are trying to get into. They tell you want they want to see in the CARMS application guide etc. Some places basically don't like the pass/fail system as it doesn't give them as much to work with and they want some measure of your academic performance.

A complete CV is one of the core components of a carms application, and you can put whatever you like on it.

As the above poster mentioned, grades before med school are looked at, but this is variable. For example, in my field of radiology, essentially all programs in Canada require premed undergrad transcripts.

So if I did research in my first, second and third year of undergrad I can put that on an application for CARMS? I wonder if research done during med school holds more weight. Also, say for example I do research and am a co-author on a few papers that would be published in three to four years. That would I assume look much better (given that they are published while in med school) then if they were published say before I was admitted.

So if I did research in my first, second and third year of undergrad I can put that on an application for CARMS? I wonder if research done during med school holds more weight. Also, say for example I do research and am a co-author on a few papers that would be published in three to four years. That would I assume look much better (given that they are published while in med school) then if they were published say before I was admitted.

You can and probably should, but the more recent the research the more weight it will generally have - particularly since as a medicals student the type of research you do is likely going to be somewhat different - it will be with other doctors, probably more clinical in nature.

Archived