Premed 101 Forums

Couple of random GPA questions

Goku

I applied last cycle with a GPA of 3.91. After finishing third year, my GPA is now 3.89. My question is, do med schools rank GPA in intervals (such as 3.85-3.89, 3.90-3.94, etc.) or do they rank it by the decimal point. I'm pretty bummed out that I dropped from the 3.9 mark, but oh well..

Also, my GPA breakdown is

1st year = 3.91

2nd year = 3.92

3rd year = 3.85

How much do you guys think that 3rd year drop will hurt my application?

I applied last cycle with a GPA of 3.91. After finishing third year, my GPA is now 3.89. My question is, do med schools rank GPA in intervals (such as 3.85-3.89, 3.90-3.94, etc.) or do they rank it by the decimal point. I'm pretty bummed out that I dropped from the 3.9 mark, but oh well..

Also, my GPA breakdown is

1st year = 3.91

2nd year = 3.92

3rd year = 3.85

How much do you guys think that 3rd year drop will hurt my application?

What was your MCAT score? You are still competitive for all schools in Ontario. So I wouldn't stress it.

What was your MCAT score? You are still competitive for all schools in Ontario. So I wouldn't stress it.

Thanks for the reassurance. MCAT score is 12/9/10. Rewriting in 2 months to improve verbal though.

Thanks for the reassurance. MCAT score is 12/9/10. Rewriting in 2 months to improve verbal though.

As you stand right now, you have a good shot at UofT and Mcmaster. If you can pull that VR to 11 and bill to 12, Western and queens is possible too

Keep in mind that some schools (read: Ottawa and UofT) have specific formulas for calculating GPAs. Ottawa, for example, favors the most recent years (so if you do a 4th year and have a GPA above 3.9 again, your GPA will recover more than you realize). UofT, to my understanding, allows you to drop your lowest grade every year (see http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/Academic/Calculation_of_GPA_Weighting_Formula.htm for specifics).

I will agree with StriveP that your GPA is competitive for Ontario schools, so you have little need to stress about this aspect of your application. Make sure you are giving your other areas as much scrutiny, though! Make sure to dot all your Is and cross all your Ts before applying.

As you stand right now, you have a good shot at UofT and Mcmaster. If you can pull that VR to 11 and bill to 12, Western and queens is possible too

Just a quick question, I've noticed that people say one would have a good shot at U of T if you have a high gpa. Does U of T take into account gpa more than other schools?

Archived