Premed 101 Forums

What jobs with biology degree?

None. There really are no jobs that specifically require a biology degree (even most lab techs I know have a Masters and are pretty much overqualified/underemployed) as you basically aren't really trained for anything specific. You have a very broad knowledge foundation that requires narrowing down on something specific and further training/schooling in that area in order to become employable

None. There really are no jobs that specifically require a biology degree (even most lab techs I know have a Masters and are pretty much overqualified/underemployed) as you basically aren't really trained for anything specific. You have a very broad knowledge foundation that requires narrowing down on something specific and further training/schooling in that area in order to become employable

Not a lot. Maybe helping with field studies/TA or research (very few).

If you have an M.Sc and research/coordinating experience, there's a fair number of jobs organizing trials and being a research coordinator in Ontario. These are usually fixed 8-12 month contracts so they're good options for people wanting to continue to medicine who want to work/are trying to find a temporary job before the next cycle. However, these are pretty competitive and it helps to know someone to get your foot in the door. Some of these are definitely attainable with a bachelor's (I know someone with a Western BMSc who's doing this right now), though graduate work helps.

If you have an M.Sc and research/coordinating experience, there's a fair number of jobs organizing trials and being a research coordinator in Ontario. These are usually fixed 8-12 month contracts so they're good options for people wanting to continue to medicine who want to work/are trying to find a temporary job before the next cycle. However, these are pretty competitive and it helps to know someone to get your foot in the door. Some of these are definitely attainable with a bachelor's (I know someone with a Western BMSc who's doing this right now), though graduate work helps.

What is the pay like for those jobs?

At some universities, after a B.Sc. you can straight up do a M.Ed. and teach in high schools. In fact, in remote areas, even though you don't have a B.Ed, you can still find a job as a high school science teacher. (I'm saying this from my personal experience).

There are government jobs for biologists too with an undergrad.

You can work in museums afterwards.

You can do a M.Sc. in pharmacology or something similar to go in pharmaceuticals after.

You can do a M.Sc. related to environment, or a M.Eng. in biomedical engineering.

There are definitely options, but with an undergrad, an no experience, the job market will surely be scarce for opportunities.

Edit: a lot of premeds who failed making the cut into med school, and dent, pharm opto (yes a lot of people do rank list like this), after an UG in biology, end up starting an UG in business school afterwards to start over.

At some universities, after a B.Sc. you can straight up do a M.Ed. and teach in high schools. In fact, in remote areas, even though you don't have a B.Ed, you can still find a job as a high school science teacher. (I'm saying this from my personal experience).

There are government jobs for biologists too with an undergrad.

You can work in museums afterwards.

You can do a M.Sc. in pharmacology or something similar to go in pharmaceuticals after.

You can do a M.Sc. related to environment, or a M.Eng. in biomedical engineering.

There are definitely options, but with an undergrad, an no experience, the job market will surely be scarce for opportunities.

Edit: a lot of premeds who failed making the cut into med school, and dent, pharm opto (yes a lot of people do rank list like this), after an UG in biology, end up starting an UG in business school afterwards to start over.

I dont think you can pursue MEng in biomedical or it would be hard to get in as it would require some undergrad engineering courses. However, you can collaborate with biomedical research/projects depending on your background.

a much better response would have been "none that i can think of" instead of saying "none".

pharmaceutical sales rep requires a bachelor's degree, preferably in science. so bio degree would work out for that. not sure how much they make per year though.

What is the pay like for those jobs?

Not too bad, especially if you're a bachelor and don't have to support dependents. I've seen estimates from $20 000/yr all the way up to 40-50K, though the latter ones are very rare and usually funded by private companies rather than at hospitals.

Edit: in fact, there's something like that at UWO right now (40-50K) that I was going to apply for if medicine didn't work out this year.

a much better response would have been "none that i can think of" instead of saying "none".

pharmaceutical sales rep requires a bachelor's degree, preferably in science. so bio degree would work out for that. not sure how much they make per year though.

Yes my bad

Archived