Premed 101 Forums

200/300 level courses for Gen. sci

Hello!

I will be entering my second year of general science at the U of A this sept....

I have taken most of the pre-reqs already: Gen-chem, O-chem, Physics, Biochem, English etc...

I have also taken intro psych and sociology (open to easy 200/300 lvl psych/soc courses...

Is there any other good courses to take? (i.e. put in the work=A)

-Has anybody taken: psych 258, 275, neuro 210, biochem 310, 320, 330, chem 211, biol 108, biol 207, 208, micro 265, any easy 200/300 lvl soc?

-any other good courses?

Thanks!

I took psych 258,275, soc 224,225. They're all easy. Just memorize the notes and the textbook and you're guaranteed an A/A+

You can look into physio 210. It's a lot of work but the exams were mostly fair, easy, and getting an A was very doable.

I took psych 258,275, soc 224,225. They're all easy. Just memorize the notes and the textbook and you're guaranteed an A/A+

You can look into physio 210. It's a lot of work but the exams were mostly fair, easy, and getting an A was very doable.

That's how every course works? The point is to memorize what needs to be memorized.

Psych 275 is good. Same as neuro. I haven't taken biochem 310,330, biol 108, 207, or 208 yet but they are all on my "to take" courses for what it's worth. As per soci courses, I took soci 100 and couldn't stand the class so I wouldn't know in particular. However, I had a friend who was a soci major and she mentioned sociology of crime (I think it's 225), and said it was one of the best soci courses she took throughout her degree.

That's how every course works? The point is to memorize what needs to be memorized.

Psych 275 is good. Same as neuro. I haven't taken biochem 310,330, biol 108, 207, or 208 yet but they are all on my "to take" courses for what it's worth. As per soci courses, I took soci 100 and couldn't stand the class so I wouldn't know in particular. However, I had a friend who was a soci major and she mentioned sociology of crime (I think it's 225), and said it was one of the best soci courses she took throughout her degree.

Every single course that Messi1 mentioned are "memorize and regurgitate" and that's why we did well in those courses ;) don't waste time and effort trying to understand them.

All 200 level psychs are easy, neuro 210 is easy, soc 100/224/225 are easy. For interest purposes, I'd say take physl 210, pmcol 305, psych 241, and definitely pmcol 201!

Thanks guys!

Also, have any of you heard anything about soc 382 (health/illness)? I am looking at taking it with Allison Dunwoody... Really liked her for soc 100!

Also, who are the best prof/profs for soc 224/225?

Edit: how is the curve in pmcol 305? It looks like a really interesting course; however, I heard the curve is insane!

SOC224/225 just ratemyprof for good profs. Biochem300s are good. Study thoroughly and you will do well. Unlike bioch200 there's no weird ambiguous questions. Biol 108 is good but time consuming. biol207 is chill. biol208 lab is not chill, avoid at all cost.

Hello!

I will be entering my second year of general science at the U of A this sept....

I have taken most of the pre-reqs already: Gen-chem, O-chem, Physics, Biochem, English etc...

I have also taken intro psych and sociology (open to easy 200/300 lvl psych/soc courses...

Is there any other good courses to take? (i.e. put in the work=A)

-Has anybody taken: psych 258, 275, neuro 210, biochem 310, 320, 330, chem 211, biol 108, biol 207, 208, micro 265, any easy 200/300 lvl soc?

-any other good courses?

Thanks!

Take a intro Nutrition class. They are super easy!

Like I mean you literally don't have to study when the questions ask you if proteins are made of amino acids, carbohydrates, or fatty acids.

Take a intro Nutrition class. They are super easy!

Like I mean you literally don't have to study when the questions ask you if proteins are made of amino acids, carbohydrates, or fatty acids.

Nutrition 100 (lecture class, not the online one) was the toughest course in 1st year for me. I don't know about Medicine Hat College but at U of A, the amount of memorization was insane. It was purely trivial. No understanding required. Class average was 57% on the 2nd midterm. Eg. knowing how much total magnesium in body was in bones, which food item has the highest bioavailability for protein, etc... and MC questions with options A to J. :eek:

Studied more for that course than Chemistry 101 + Biology 107 combined, haha.

Nutrition 100 (lecture class, not the online one) was the toughest course in 1st year for me. I don't know about Medicine Hat College but at U of A, the amount of memorization was insane. It was purely trivial. No understanding required. Class average was 57% on the 2nd midterm. Eg. knowing how much total magnesium in body was in bones, which food item has the highest bioavailability for protein, etc... and MC questions with options A to J. :eek:

I know, wasn't it awesome? :D <3

fortunately the young 1st years were so cute in thinking that it's a GPA booster so our average was so low! 86 = A+

Damn. That sounds terrible.

Our tests were all multiple choice, even the final (a-d), we didn't have to memorize any numbers (recommended values, bioavailability, energy, etc.), and 15% of our marks were participation and 20% was from a diet analysis project where it was very possible to get 100%.

I still remember one of the multiple choice questions:

What part of the brain signals hunger?

a) hypothalamus

B) liver

c) pancreas

d) small intestine

:cool:

Archived