Premed 101 Forums

I could use some help...

Hi all,

I am an Ontario resident who graduated last year (2013) from McGill in Political Science and English Literature with a 3.77 OMSAS GPA. I am interested in pursuing a path to medical school, but I have no prerequisites in science at the university level. I would like to keep my options as open as possible (i.e. not just apply to McMaster with a verbal score) by rounding out my application with some continuing education courses, but I wouldn't want to spend more than a year taking pre-reqs before I apply.

I would appreciate any advice you have re: which classes to take, whether taking science classes is worth the trouble, whether I am a viable candidate, etc.

Any advice would be great! Thank you in advance.

Hi all,

I am an Ontario resident who graduated last year (2013) from McGill in Political Science and English Literature with a 3.77 OMSAS GPA. I am interested in pursuing a path to medical school, but I have no prerequisites in science at the university level. I would like to keep my options as open as possible (i.e. not just apply to McMaster with a verbal score) by rounding out my application with some continuing education courses, but I wouldn't want to spend more than a year taking pre-reqs before I apply.

I would appreciate any advice you have re: which classes to take, whether taking science classes is worth the trouble, whether I am a viable candidate, etc.

Any advice would be great! Thank you in advance.

I am no professional but I think pursuing a second degree including prereq courses would be the way to go. Try to keep GPA as high as possible. Sorry, I dont have much knowledge about the french med schools if you are eligible.

can you still get into any summer biol and chem courses (especially chem 1)? I would start there. That is how I did it, and i did all the UBC prereq's, which include 2 biochem 300 level courses. It wasn't fun, but it is possible.

I think my schedule was something like this:

summer: chem 1

Fall: calculus 1, biol 1, Physics 1(calculus based), Org 1, micro 200

Winter: Org 2, biol 2, chem 2, calculus 2, second half of physics

spring: english, and cell biol and MCAT

APPLY TO MED SCHOOLS ALL OVER US AND 3 IN CANADA - Hence the calculus based physics, and calculus. I had prerequisites for every school in Canada I think

and then finish the UBC prereq's during application cycle:

Fall: Biochem 300A, and 2 other unnecessary courses.

Winter: Biochem 300B.

University of Calgary doesn't have any pre-requisite courses. In fact, they seem to favour students from non-science backgrounds more than most schools.

Not sure how true this is but yes, they like diversity and experience outside the typical premed stuff. Although the no prereq advantage will help you, they also have higher OOP requirements. I'm sure your background would help you get a good verbal score and if you take time to do a masters or another undegrad for your GPA, youd easily get into calgary.

Do you think my GPA is so low I would need to take another undergrad? I was hoping to take just one year of sciences part-time for pre-reqs for U of T (ideal school). Isn't it tough to get into Calgary as an Ontario resident? If I was looking to get into a school without pre-reqs, would McMaster not be my best bet? Many questions, I know. :)

Archived