Premed 101 Forums

Where to Live

Varsity View is awesome if you want close to the Uni, but it is pricy.

Erindale, Arbour Creek, Willowgrove, Evergreen, Silverspring, Briarwood, or even forest grove are all family friendly and relatively close to the university. Lots of options available!

Kijiji is your best bet honestly. You could try gottarent or RentSpot, but they aren't super popular here yet. Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but there should be lots of rental spaces in Evergreen. It's a brand new area, about a 5 minute drive from the uni.

• 11 months later...

So how important is it to live close to the university? It is worth spending the extra money in rent? I'm from victoria and there is no snow and if there is 1 inch is enough to shut down the city, lol. 

The Saskatoon transit system is not the best, and parking spaces at the U of S are limited and can be pricey. Most people try to live close to campus. I'd suggest looking somewhere South of the U of S but North of Taylor Street, if possible. Saskatoon (east of the river) is generally safe and therefore family friendly. Older neighbourhoods are probably best as they contain neighbourhood schools. (Many of the newer areas, such as Stonebridge, don't have them yet.)

Varsity View is awesome if you want close to the Uni, but it is pricy.

Erindale, Arbour Creek, Willowgrove, Evergreen, Silverspring, Briarwood, or even forest grove are all family friendly and relatively close to the university. Lots of options available!

Those are all nice neighborhoods and are indeed family friendly but are kind of higher income unless you go for a condo. If you're looking for something cheaper you should check out Sutherland too. Some of the places are kind of dumpy because it is an old town that was annexed by the city, but some places have been kept up very nicely and there are lots of infills (new homes built on lots that were knocked down) and reasonably priced semi-detached houses, condos, single family homes, etc. It's a mixture of old people, students, and young families in the neighborhood and there's a school. Also, forest grove is very close to that and similar but maybe slightly newer for the most part. Sutherland is probably the closest neighborhood to school next to varsity view. There are tons of buses going through there because it's populated by a lot of students.

Additionally, some of the older areas like Buena Vista and City park are quite beautiful (big old trees, wide streets, character homes) and you can find cheaper small homes. Like most neighborhoods undergoing gentrification, some homes are a little dumpy but others are well kept up and renovated or infills. City park is just  northwest of campus across the bridge, and Buena Vista is a little farther south then Broadway and Varsity View which have become sort of expensive due to proximity to the university and becoming more of a hip artsy neighborhood that's now attracting people with money.

Most people don't reccommend the "west side" or "alphabet city" or "west of idylwyld". Honestly, Blairmore is a new development in the far west that has some really nice new places and a huge big box development with some restaurants, grocery stores, a gym, etc. So I wouldn't say ixnay the west side options. Also, Mayfair isn't too bad I don't think - it's older like city park and just across idylwyld from it. Most of the west side isn't "too bad" but if you didn't grow up here you might not be that comfortable because some streets are great and others are meh and you end up living next to a crack house and you're having a bad time. If you aren't familiar with the neighborhood you might have a tough time picking a house on one of the good streets or sections.

The commute from suburbs is gonna be kinda brutal though - looking at you Arbor creek (40 minute bus ride there and back to campus... takes 25 mins to bike and only 12 to drive). Also evergreen, blairmore, stonebridge (new south development), rosewood (new southeast development) anything that's kinda spread out and out in the boonies. But they're also the newest homes and usually have access to lots of grocery stores (downtown is especially bad for grocery shopping).

The UofS Medicine Facebook group has some rental properties posted (both medical students looking for a room-mates as well as entire condo rentals, etc). Newer areas, such as Willowgrove and Evergreen, have many new townhouses, main floor house suites or basement suites which are great for families, couples, or individuals who have the extra income to spend on a new rental. 

If anyone is interested, my husband and myself (both starting Medicine in August!) will be renting a brand new main floor suite in Evergreen and the 2 bedroom basement suite of the house (separate entrance and laundry) will be available for renting in August. Private message me if you are interested in more details. Would be great to have another Med student as our neighbour and could carpool.

if anyone wants to chime in on this, it'd be appreciated. on the waitlist but i do like to plan for every possibility (and that includes looking for housing). what do you guys think of living in residence for the first two years without a car (as it is on campus and i hate snow even though i'm from edmonton)? and moving somewhere with a car and heated parking or whatever for the last two years? sorry to derail the convo, but it's something that's been on my mind.

if anyone wants to chime in on this, it'd be appreciated. on the waitlist but i do like to plan for every possibility (and that includes looking for housing). what do you guys think of living in residence for the first two years without a car (as it is on campus and i hate snow even though i'm from edmonton)? and moving somewhere with a car and heated parking or whatever for the last two years? sorry to derail the convo, but it's something that's been on my mind.

Honestly.... I love Saskatoon but our transit really sucks. It's very much a driving city like Edmonton. You're really going to miss having a car if you have one now in Edmonton. Getting groceries sucks without one, especially. And in the winter.. waiting for buses in the cold that sometimes don't even show up... wanting to go shopping at places other than downtown.. It's pretty tough. Some areas are especially weird to get to from other places (namely, suburb to suburb if you had to). The closest grocery store to campus would be 8th street I guess. Also if you're thinking about living in res I've heard they have problems with heating and bedbugs. College quarter are the new residences and they're quite nice and not as bedbug infested I think, but you have to live with roommates in a 4 bedroom apartment style complex. But there are "quiet floors" and study rooms and lounges and stuff. I've heard of lots of people that stay in college quarter and then pay monthly to keep their car in the stadium parkade. It's not heated but you can plug-in and there's a roof over your car.

Honestly.... I love Saskatoon but our transit really sucks. It's very much a driving city like Edmonton. You're really going to miss having a car if you have one now in Edmonton. Getting groceries sucks without one, especially. And in the winter.. waiting for buses in the cold that sometimes don't even show up... wanting to go shopping at places other than downtown.. It's pretty tough. Some areas are especially weird to get to from other places (namely, suburb to suburb if you had to). The closest grocery store to campus would be 8th street I guess. Also if you're thinking about living in res I've heard they have problems with heating and bedbugs. College quarter are the new residences and they're quite nice and not as bedbug infested I think, but you have to live with roommates in a 4 bedroom apartment style complex. But there are "quiet floors" and study rooms and lounges and stuff. I've heard of lots of people that stay in college quarter and then pay monthly to keep their car in the stadium parkade. It's not heated but you can plug-in and there's a roof over your car.

i was thinking of graduate housing which should be single rooms (which to me is a necessity as i am an extremely private person at home). the issue being there is no guarantee of a plugin if you live in that res. it's new so i'm assuming there should be no infestations (hopefully). having no plugins in sask for winter is a death sentence for a decently old car i'd imagine (which is the main reason i was thinking of forgetting about having a car while living there).

i was thinking of graduate housing which should be single rooms (which to me is a necessity as i am an extremely private person at home). the issue being there is no guarantee of a plugin if you live in that res. it's new so i'm assuming there should be no infestations (hopefully). having no plugins in sask for winter is a death sentence for a decently old car i'd imagine (which is the main reason i was thinking of forgetting about having a car while living there).

Ahhh I see ok yeah. Yeah you'd definitely want a guaranteed plug in if you're going to bother having a car in the winter. Just looked it up - guess you'd park in U lot. Most of those stalls are electrified and you should be able to get an electrified spot over night 99% of the time. Honestly... it depends on the car you have. My roommate has like a 2006 Cobalt and it starts every time in winter without plugging in, my 2011 ford fusion has died a few times when it wasn't plugged in over night. I personally would take the hassle of possibly having to come back and repark my car to get an electrified stall once in awhile, paying registration and gas and all that just to be able to drive in Saskatoon in winter. But I do know people that definitely get by without cars here! Hopefully Uber comes here and then cabbing won't be as crappy too :)

Ahhh I see ok yeah. Yeah you'd definitely want a guaranteed plug in if you're going to bother having a car in the winter. Just looked it up - guess you'd park in U lot. Most of those stalls are electrified and you should be able to get an electrified spot over night 99% of the time. Honestly... it depends on the car you have. My roommate has like a 2006 Cobalt and it starts every time in winter without plugging in, my 2011 ford fusion has died a few times when it wasn't plugged in over night. I personally would take the hassle of possibly having to come back and repark my car to get an electrified stall once in awhile, paying registration and gas and all that just to be able to drive in Saskatoon in winter. But I do know people that definitely get by without cars here! Hopefully Uber comes here and then cabbing won't be as crappy too :)

haha yeah i'm hoping for uber too. loved using it in the states and when it came to edmonton a while ago. cabbing is totally sketch imo. the guy that took me from the airport to my hotel for my interview drove super slow and made sure to stop on all the yellows to get more money on the meter. i honestly don't drive that often to justify paying for a stall without a guaranteed plugin (probably used 1 tank of gas in the last year? lol).

haha yeah i'm hoping for uber too. loved using it in the states and when it came to edmonton a while ago. cabbing is totally sketch imo. the guy that took me from the airport to my hotel for my interview drove super slow and made sure to stop on all the yellows to get more money on the meter. i honestly don't drive that often to justify paying for a stall without a guaranteed plugin (probably used 1 tank of gas in the last year? lol).

Haha totally fair I know lots of people who survive without cars here just fine! I am probably just a diva who "needs" to go to Costco. But man you can't beat the deals on toilet paper and dishwashing detergent. Living without roommates would probably make that a non-issue :P

• 5 weeks later...

The UofS Medicine Facebook group has some rental properties posted (both medical students looking for a room-mates as well as entire condo rentals, etc). Newer areas, such as Willowgrove and Evergreen, have many new townhouses, main floor house suites or basement suites which are great for families, couples, or individuals who have the extra income to spend on a new rental. 

If anyone is interested, my husband and myself (both starting Medicine in August!) will be renting a brand new main floor suite in Evergreen and the 2 bedroom basement suite of the house (separate entrance and laundry) will be available for renting in August. Private message me if you are interested in more details. Would be great to have another Med student as our neighbour and could carpool.

Could you provide a link for the facebook group? :)

Edit: never mind. I'm a dent student so didn't come to the med section of the forum before.

Here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/236043476589326/

• 3 weeks later...

I've lived in CQ for two years and I'm switching to grad house this year. This last year I was lucky enough to get a single room which was awesome (very few in CQ). I had my own space and it was much cheaper than grad house. My roommate from first year had some very disturbing bathroom habits I would like to forget so the change was a godsend. Normally, residence allows you to renew your room if you're living there year-long. I was planning to renew this room until the end of my program. Unfortunately, they arbitrarily decided to reserve the building I was in and another for summer conferences. Everyone in these two buildings had to move to the other two CQ buildings. We were given very short notice about this and we had no say in matter of room selection. It was 'agree' or find somewhere else. To make matters worse, the move-out date is organised according to undergraduate student schedules; one week before writing this year's final exams I was packing my shit up and moving literally next door! That was fun.

I do have good things to say about CQ. Everything's new n' shiny so the apartments are nice. The rooms have decent sound proofing. To address mmd7's comment, I've never heard anything about bed bugs and there's no issue with heating here. Lastly, it is considerably cheaper than grad house. Personally, I don't think the benefits are worth it. Getting utterly screwed over during finals is a deal breaker for me.

I cannot stress enough that not bringing your car is a bad idea. If you live in residence you can get a parking spot in U-lot. Most of the spaces are electrified and they currently putting more in; I have never had trouble finding a spot. It gets packed but there's always been a plug-in available. The area furthest from the buildings is usually bare, so it's more about finding a good spot instead of finding a plug-in. Saskatoon is not a transit/alternate transportation friendly city. I agree with mmd7's post about bus service. The nearest grocery store is Sobey's on 8th street, which is about a 15-20 minute walk; you will not enjoy that in January. One important point to consider is that your clinical training can and will occur at locations far away from the university. Sometimes your schedule makes it stressful to get to these sessions on time even with a car. These sessions occur in groups of 2-4 so carpooling may be an option but that's a gamble.

Archived