Premed 101 Forums

wGPA cutoff question - chances

I know this question gets asked time and time again.

However, I'm wondering if my wGPA of 3.91 (rounded down from 3.9135) would be competitive enough for getting an interview at uOttawa? From the looks of it in the Invite/Regrets thread...around 3.94+ seems to be the real number one wants to be at. But then again, stats from this forum probably have a serious sampling bias?

Also does a Master's really improve one's chances at schools like Ottawa considerably?

Some details:

Haven't done MCAT yet, didn't decide on med until this semester...fail (although this is irrelevant for Ottawa)

Just graduated undergrad in June 2014 - probably taking a gap year depending on MCAT outcome.

Volunteering: 6 years volunteering in senior home, CFO of a non-for-profit I helped co-found and operate in the GTA region, few clubs, tutoring for 3 years, leadership jobs, ESL teacher for elderly students in the GTA

Research: 2+ years in 2 different labs (one of them isn't really med-related though) 1 NSERC USRA, 3 pubs (2 1st author, 1 4th author), 5 conference and poster presentations

Awards: ~7 academic and leadership awards/scholarships.

ECs: tennis tournament player, some work as a writer/blogger (this section is weak/grey area/needs work)

Any advice, feedback and criticism would be greatly appreciated! :)

I know this question gets asked time and time again.

However, I'm wondering if my wGPA of 3.91 (rounded down from 3.9135) would be competitive enough for getting an interview at uOttawa? From the looks of it in the Invite/Regrets thread...around 3.94+ seems to be the real number one wants to be at. But then again, stats from this forum probably have a serious sampling bias?

Also does a Master's really improve one's chances at schools like Ottawa considerably?

Some details:

Haven't done MCAT yet, didn't decide on med until this semester...fail (although this is irrelevant for Ottawa)

Just graduated undergrad in June 2014 - probably taking a gap year depending on MCAT outcome.

Volunteering: 6 years volunteering in senior home, CFO of a non-for-profit I helped co-found and operate in the GTA region, few clubs, tutoring for 3 years, leadership jobs, ESL teacher for elderly students in the GTA

Research: 2+ years in 2 different labs (one of them isn't really med-related though) 1 NSERC USRA, 3 pubs (2 1st author, 1 4th author), 5 conference and poster presentations

Awards: ~7 academic and leadership awards/scholarships.

ECs: tennis tournament player, some work as a writer/blogger (this section is weak/grey area/needs work)

Any advice, feedback and criticism would be greatly appreciated! :)

Please note that the wGPAs are posted for this cycle as found in the FAQ

People have received interviews and acceptances with less than 3.91. How they evaluate your ECs will make all the difference!

GP

Please note that the wGPAs are posted for this cycle as found in the FAQ

People have received interviews and acceptances with less than 3.91. How they evaluate your ECs will make all the difference!

GP

Also make sure that you are going to have an excellent, outstanding, fantastic, unbelievable interview!!!!!!!

I agree with the above comments. Your 3.91 is adequate to gain you an interview. It will all come down to your EC's and more specifically, how you word them in your autobiographical sketch. And if you get an interview invite, you absolutely need to shine like you've never shined before, since your interview performance is more important than your GPA.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked regarding this year's application and they sent back:

"The WGPA cut-off for in province residents is 3.85/4.00. The cut off for the excellence of marks for 2015 are subject to change therefore, you may contact the admissions office at the beginning of October 2014."

Hope that helps.

Archived