Premed 101 Forums

I am thinking of buying the textbooks posted here as I find them online from amazon etc.

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/requireddocumentsmdprog/files/Unfiled/Introduction_To_Medicine_Course.pdf

Just wondering if any upper years can comment on:

a) whether any book on that list is not required/useful etc?

B) whether there are more books we have to buy on top of the ones already on this list?

c) which anatomy atlas did you pick and why?

thanks in adv :)

I wouldn't buy them. If you look on the fb group there was a recent post with like all the electronic copies of everything. Pretty sure most of what we're going to be learning will be in lecture notes and the textbooks are mostly supplemental. If you're still set on buying them, maybe hold off until after school starts. My bets are on profs saying not to buy them, too.

You can get away in the first 2 years with maybe just 2-3 books, say Anatomy + 1-2 other (EKG + maybe 1 book pertaining to an area of your interest). If you want quick references the First Aid series are actually pretty good. The histology and biochem/pharm books are not useful. For physical examination YT is probably better.

None of the books are essential. None of the books are mandatory. Most of the books aren't particularly useful.

What you probably should pick up:

1) An anatomy textbook. Western keeps cutting back on the anatomy teaching and it's really important. We still have one of the few wet labs available and it's a great learning experience. Personally I didn't really like Netter's/Gray's/Rohen's and preferred one of two books - Thieme and Moore Clinical Oriented Anatomy. I found them to be better books and if you aren't a hard-copy person there are pdf copies floating around.

2) Dubin. It's painfully slow but really does do a good job of teaching ECGs.

3) That's really all that you need.

I never touched Bates outside of prereading for one or two clinical skills days, and then I realized that it didn't actually prepare me any more than doing the provided materials anyway.

One thing I found somewhat helpful was using Toronto Notes right from the get go and following along with the course material. Definitely not essential, but it just gave me some perpective on what was taught in class vs. a general guide for med school breadth of knowledge.

If you are coming from a non-research background and find yourself pretty clueless when it comes to medical literature a book I might suggest is the JAMA Users Guide to Medical Literature. A nice overview of critical analysis and epidemiology. Not a must have by any means (pdfs available again) but certainly something that can be useful if you are hoping for a competitive speciality and want to get a good handle on the research side of things.

Don't stress too much about this list either.

I have Bates Physical Exam, Nelson Paediatrics, Dubin, Rohen's Atlas, Cecil Essentials of Medicine and Robbins Pathology, all in basically perfect condition, that I am looking to sell.

Message me if anyone is interested in any of those. In full disclosure - the ones I got the most use out of were Dubin, and Rohen's. You don't need most of the textbooks. Whether you want them depends on your comfort level and learning style. I bought more than some people because I liked knowing I had them if I needed them.

Archived