Premed 101 Forums

Men working in Ultrasound/Sonography

umKines

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life/career.

Right now I am looking heavily at nursing, but am also currently on a waiting list to begin a radiologic tech program (x-ray) next fall, 2015.

I am also looking at ultrasound/sonography since the pay is better. I would need to go back and upgrade some marks. My concern is, its clearly a female dominant profession, is anybody (or know anyone) that works in ultrasound as a male and how comfortable they feel doing their job?

I would personally want to do cardiovascular ultrasound, but would likely have to start in a position that may involve doing transvaginal and other personal tests which most patients may not want a male doing.

any thoughts?

I'll also add, I'm 24, have a Bachelors in Kinesiology, and am by no means straight A student, I would have to probably retake 2 years of univ to get into the other programs I want to take.

Speaking as someone who, by virtue of having two kids and a fertility problem, has had a whole lot of ultrasounds, I really couldn't give a rat's behind whether the sono tech was male or female. No more than I care about my physician's gender, anyway, which isn't much. I'm sure there are women who would be uncomfortable, but there would also likely be men who may be uncomfortable with a female tech for some scans.

As I have a large sampling of women who have had ultrasounds available to me, I'll ask them for their opinions and get back to you.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life/career.

Right now I am looking heavily at nursing, but am also currently on a waiting list to begin a radiologic tech program (x-ray) next fall, 2015.

I am also looking at ultrasound/sonography since the pay is better. I would need to go back and upgrade some marks. My concern is, its clearly a female dominant profession, is anybody (or know anyone) that works in ultrasound as a male and how comfortable they feel doing their job?

I would personally want to do cardiovascular ultrasound, but would likely have to start in a position that may involve doing transvaginal and other personal tests which most patients may not want a male doing.

any thoughts?

I'll also add, I'm 24, have a Bachelors in Kinesiology, and am by no means straight A student, I would have to probably retake 2 years of univ to get into the other programs I want to take.

Not sure it matters how dominated it is - actually I don't think I like that term as the ratio is not 99:1 etc :) At out centre as a radiology resident I work with several male sonographers who love their jobs. It actually looks like a really interesting health field job.

Yes, men are less prevalent in sonography, but actually a good proportion of the ones I've met are working in hospitals with a heavy gyne case load. In my experience, if the patient declines transvaginal scanning, they simply do not want it regardless of who performs it, male or female. There may be a rare occasion where a female tech is requested (mostly for religious reasons). In all cases where a male tech or radiologist is doing transvaginal scanning, a female chaperone is present.

To provide perspective, there are plenty of radiologists who are men who scan breast/TV/etc., and female sonographers do scrotal ultrasound all the time.

I completed X-ray training before heading into med. In hindsight, I would have gone into ultrasound instead if I were to do it over again: the pay is a higher, also the job prospect is MUCH better. I remember looking up job postings prior to graduation, and virtually every hospital website has one or two listings for ultrasound tech, but nothing for X-ray tech. On the topic of male ultrasound tech, the hospital where I trained at as an X-ray tech had a 50:50 split in their ultrasound team. It's not a female profession at all. If anything I would say nursing is more undeservingly stereotyped to be a female dominant profession.

So far, everyone but one of the people I've heard from said they wouldn't care, so long as you're professional about it. Presumably that won't be a problem.

Good luck with your path. Ultrasound seems like a great career option!

Just to add my 2cents, I'm also a woman who has had numerous ultrasounds and would have no problem with a male tech. My sister who is quite religious has a male tech at the hospital here in town and has never experienced any problem. When you're about to give birth, your body just becomes an open book for about 10+ medical professionals and really, you don't care.

Just to add my 2cents, I'm also a woman who has had numerous ultrasounds and would have no problem with a male tech. My sister who is quite religious has a male tech at the hospital here in town and has never experienced any problem. When you're about to give birth, your body just becomes an open book for about 10+ medical professionals and really, you don't care.

Yup, that.

My medical education would say otherwise. I was kicked out of the room by plenty of women during my OB rotations deliveries because they "weren't comfortable" with me being there. Mind you I think a lot of that comes down to just how your resident/staff advocates on your behalf.

My medical education would say otherwise. I was kicked out of the room by plenty of women during my OB rotations deliveries because they "weren't comfortable" with me being there. Mind you I think a lot of that comes down to just how your resident/staff advocates on your behalf.

the only counter I guess is you were probably pretty useless in the room :) The actual sonographer has an actual role in helping the patient directly and isn't just for their own purposes.

I expect it was the nursing staff emphasizing to the patients that they could refuse to have you there.

I expect it was the nursing staff emphasizing to the patients that they could refuse to have you there.

yeah that can play a big role - how you are introduced makes a huge difference - the "framing problem". On my oby/gen rotation the staff was very supportive and I think that is why I had such a good experience. Most clerks don't get to deliver 40+ babies - that was in big part because of how things were structured.

Archived