Premed 101 Forums

When's a good time to purchase a stethoscope?

Can't remember it really changing management much so far, but some middle-of-the-night images have confirmed a diagnosis (e.g. pericardial effusion without tamponade, RV failure).

As a GP or EM-Doc, does using POCUS need to go in the radiology section of a pt's chart, or does it go in only if relevant to the diagnosis? Do you download the videos and keep them? Does using POCUS open a practitioner to liability if they chose to use it as a one-off in addition to physical exam, and they missed something semi-nuanced that a radiologist would have caught?

Usually a POCUS finding ends up in the exam or investigations parts of the chart. Of course, most of the time ERPs are not writing very structured notes, so it's something of a moot point.

I have never downloaded any saved images. It would be nice but the setup is not such that it's easy to do. The essence of POCUS is that it does NOT replace formal ultrasound, and is used to assess for simple, readily determinable findings (e.g. presence of free fluid on a FAST). So there's no issue with "semi-nuanced" findings, as that's not what bedside POCUS is.

The US sounds great but I've been wanting to get a really nice stethoscope for a long, long time now. If I ever do stop using it I can put it in my medic jump kit (replace the 15$ steth you can't hear anything on).

My question- if I bought one that was kind of pretty (like the rainbow bell cardiology III) would it look tacky? I love colour.

So there's no issue with "semi-nuanced" findings, as that's not what bedside POCUS is.

Thanks! I was reading up on them and someone mentioned a maxim about not taking in more information than is relevant to diagnosis. I was kind of interested in if physicians can open themselves up to legal trouble by 'doing too much'.

I actually think the rainbow bell looks quite 'manly' and solid, actually. I used to work in specialty metallurgy for a valve company, and it looks like a quenched/heat-treated specialty part. It's a cool finish, and I would totally get it if I didn't already have a steth.

BTW, jump kit? Are you an EMT or do you do stuff for SJA?

Hm. It kind of does look like some of the stuff I used to sell. I used to have an auto parts/repair shop and maybe you're right. I'm not a very girly girl but I was thinking it was a cool-looking thing. I don't even care that it's $30 more. I am thinking I will get a sphygmomanometer too.

Oh, and a mnemonic for how to say the word sphygmomanometer? You sing it, to this tune:

****Sphyg-mahm-a-nom-e-ter ma-na-ma-na**** Hope it makes sense. It's way easier to sing it in person. :)

I teach EMR (actually AMFR2) for SJA. For some reason everyone at SJA here calls it a "no guff" kit. I have been wanting to treat myself to a good steth for AGES. Trying to teach mine medics auscultation with $9 steths is nearly impossible, especially when everyone has normal breathing.

Is anyone else disturbed that one of the options for custom engraving at stethoscope.ca is a skull and crossbones? :eek:

Archived