Premed 101 Forums

Winnipeg Woman Sues Medical School after rejection

Daretodream

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/failed-bid-for-med-school-no-basis-for-suit-judge-264347141.html

My lawyer friend sent me this link earlier this morning. Apparently this girl took pre-med courses at U of M and did "well" on the MCAT, but didn't get into medical school (U of M). Her father is a lawyer and he argued that it went against UN declarations/Canadian charter of rights to discriminate against her personal opinions (or what opinions she ended up voicing during the interview). Apparently he also argued against the interview process as well; that admissions should be based on merit alone, not the person. Finally, making sure to sufficiently piss off everyone, he also argued against admissions benefits offered to rural students.

The first thing that jumps out to me is the enormous sense of entitlement from this family. I don't know much about them outside of a few articles, however their response to this obstacle/rejection is quite telling. Instead of trying to move forward and better their daughter as a candidate, they choose to whine and cry about the unfairness of it all. Where is their foresight? She is burning bridges and basically throwing away any chance she has of getting into medical school.

Honestly, let's say in their ideal world she wins the lawsuit and gets in. Do they really think that people will be accepting of the "girl who sued her way into med school"? I can see it now, they'd sue schools who rejected her during CaRMS, too.

This story always amused me. Some people might say that she got an interview but just didnt' get in so she shot herself in the foot because she probably could have made it in over the past 4 years if she kept reapplying. I actually disagree. To me, her actions reek of someone with an extreme arrogance that is unlikely to be hidden during an interview and I think she had such a fundamental character flaw that I honestly don't think she ever would get into a medical school in Canada. I don't think she blew any opportunity at all.

This story always amused me. Some people might say that she got an interview but just didnt' get in so she shot herself in the foot because she probably could have made it in over the past 4 years if she kept reapplying. I actually disagree. To me, her actions reek of someone with an extreme arrogance that is unlikely to be hidden during an interview and I think she had such a fundamental character flaw that I honestly don't think she ever would get into a medical school in Canada. I don't think she blew any opportunity at all.

Who knows though, with what I've seen from people's crazy parents lol, it could have been almost completely induced by her parents. And honestly, (unfortunately) I don't think i's too hard to hide a personality trait in a 1 day interview lol.

you don't think she could train herself out of that personality trait within the allocated time? Perhaps I have too much faith in people general ability to change - I don't think we are all that static at all :)

I was a different person for my interview day. You don't have to say anything false to project a better image of yourself. :)

I don't even think there truly is one self for people anyway. We act, behave and think differently in different circumstances - I don't really think those are masks but rather different manifestations. We really push the one identity concept - "be your true self", ha I am not sure that really is a rational way of looking at how the mind works.

I don't even think there truly is one self for people anyway. We act, behave and think differently in different circumstances - I don't really think those are masks but rather different manifestations. We really push the one identity concept - "be your true self", ha I am not sure that really is a rational way of looking at how the mind works.

Agreed. I have various facets to me; the direct, confident businesswoman is as much who I am as the goofy mom who dances around the kitchen to Disney songs and the mama bear with a backbone of iron that the school board knows not to cross. We all emphasize certain traits of ours in certain situations and deemphasize others.

Agreed. I have various facets to me; the direct, confident businesswoman is as much who I am as the goofy mom who dances around the kitchen to Disney songs and the mama bear with a backbone of iron that the school board knows not to cross. We all emphasize certain traits of ours in certain situations and deemphasize others.

and over time those facets change with training, experience, and can be replaced with entirely other ones as time goes on. Such is how our minds work and learn :)

and over time those facets change with training, experience, and can be replaced with entirely other ones as time goes on. Such is how our minds work and learn :)

I was just talking with a friend of mine about this today, and it's interesting that you take such an optimistic view of change in humans. I know many who are very static throughout their lives, and some who seem to flow like water. I wonder if there are some aspects of people that can only be changed through discipline, habit changes, and imperative motivations.

Do you think some people are more plastic than others, or if everyone has the ability to be changed and only some choose to exercise the option?

"be your true self", ha I am not sure that really is a rational way of looking at how the mind works.

:) So true! I think there's also the reflexivity effect of what kind of community/communities you have surrounded yourself with. I know I am personally hugely affected by who my social/work group is and how they behave. "true self" is a really autonomous and western-idolized concept.

I was just talking with a friend of mine about this today, and it's interesting that you take such an optimistic view of change in humans. I know many who are very static throughout their lives, and some who seem to flow like water. I wonder if there are some aspects of people that can only be changed through discipline, habit changes, and imperative motivations.

Do you think some people are more plastic than others, or if everyone has the ability to be changed and only some choose to exercise the option?

well I generally have an optimistic bias I suppose - I think anyone can change but of course you have to actually want to change for change to occur. A lot of people never try, never have the desire to significantly change. Many probably have no reason to.

I also have an interest in psychology - which I think on some level the closest thing we have to an instruction manual for the how the mind works. That was actually why I chose to take one of my degrees in it.

A bit off topic but what I find particularly interesting is Aspergers - where it is as if the automatic part of their brain needed for social interaction is not functioning at the same level as everyone else. So it seems to me every social skill has to be actively learned if it is wanted - literally developing social interaction scripts for various social encounters, rules for behaviour, learning the subtle clues to how "normal people" operate. Confused by the various silliness that exists - arbitrary rules for all kinds of things. Ha - in very distant past I was accused I think quite erroneously of being somewhat Aspergers which is probably where the interest came from (you have to love labelling people with conditions, particularly from poorly trained people. Can have profoundly stupid consequences). Still they were right about one things - I think I am a very active student of human behaviour perhaps much more conscious in selecting a role I want to manifest than many others.

Archived