Premed 101 Forums

Should I bother applying?

Hi guys,

I want to apply to some OT programs for the next cycle and am wondering whether I would be competitive at all for the following schools: Queens, Toronto, McGill, Alberta. My gpa is on the low side with last 20 courses sitting at 3.4ish

I know some schools say that gpa is not the only factor, but I feel that it will still leave a big hole in my application and can't stop stressing about it.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or realistic criticism will be appreciated!

Thank you so much and good luck to all!!

Hi Fleur...

I think you should apply, especially with all your background (EC).

If you don't, you'll never know really and maybe, you'd be missing on an opportunity!

Good luck (I never thought that I'd get in the PT programs here in Quebec, but I tried anyway and I actually got in everywhere... so you never know!)

Oh, and since you speak French, why not consider the French Universities here that offer the OT program (ergothérapie)... Université de Montréal, Université Laval, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) and Université Sherbrooke... there are no interviews (except UQTR), the admission process is based on grades only and I think you have a pretty good chance!

here are some links if you'd like to look at it:

http://admission.umontreal.ca/programmes/baccalaureat-en-sciences-de-la-sante-ergotherapie/

http://www2.ulaval.ca/les-etudes/programmes/repertoire/details/baccalaureat-en-ergotherapie-b-erg.html#presentation-generale

http://www.usherbrooke.ca/readaptation/programmes/maitrise-en-ergotherapie/

https://oraprdnt.uqtr.uquebec.ca/pls/public/pgmw001?owa_type_rech=O&owa_valeur_rech=SA&owa_cd_pgm=7096

Definitely apply! The schools you're looking at are the ones that tend to value relevant experience over GPA, so you'll probably have a really good chance. That being said, you won't really know where you stand until you apply. You'll learn a lot from the process, so I think it's better to take a chance and apply now. Maybe you'll get in, or maybe you'll learn where you stand so you can improve your application for the next year. Either way, it will help you move towards a career in OT :)

Good luck!!

Hi FleurDeNeige,

I think you should definitely apply!!! If you have good references, good statements of intent, and a good resume, then you stand a good chance :). That being said, I am not sure if you would get in to Toronto with your GPA. I don't think people usually get in with a GPA lower than about a 3.6, but maybe someone from Toronto could confirm? If you happen to live in Manitoba, you would also have a good chance at U of M.

• 1 month later...

Hi Fleur de neige,

Please DO APPLY!

First and foremost, I would like you to know that many students are in the same situation as you. 

Although some students have their career goals in mind early on, there are others who take some time before deciding the path they wish to pursue. 

I graduated 2 years ago with a BSc and a cum gpa of 3.1. After working for a few years, I decided to go back to school to upgrade my gpa and apply into OT. In the fall I took 6 classes and applied to nearly all the schools on the east coast. I was sooooooo stressed but to my surprise, I was accepted into 2 schools (queens and UofOttawa with a GPA of 3.36).

I'm going to Queens in the fall and can't be more excited. I know how stressful it is to have the burden of a low GPA when everyone on this forum seems to have 3.6 and up... So stay positive and give it all you've got.

Have some faith, write an amazing intent letter and apply, apply, apply to all the schools!

Best of luck! :)

• 3 months later...

Great info, thank you, i feel a little hopeful now.

Can someone help:

1) I want to know if it is worth applying and can I get in to first choice (McGill) and second choice is (Queens)?

2) How does McGill calculate cGPA when it says they'd consider relevant courses, how many courses and what are the courses? I might have an art course that helps my GPA. 

I want to get into MPT either Qualifying year in McGill or MPT at Queens.

I currently have a cGPA of 3.4 ish for a total of 33 credits in GPA hours, this is my second degree program.

My first degree was a BA communications, totally unrelated and I graduated with 3.0 GPA about 10 years ago.

I have been working in rehabilitation for a long time, personal training mainly and in the last 3 years, working with patients who has movement disorder, as well as experienced working at a physio clinic and with stroke patients.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Coffeebunny

Thanks for your reply. I have not apply yet. I will in dec. I am still doing anatomy And physio pre-req right now it is killing me. I will apply in dec to McGill QY in PT/OT and Queens PT/OT. I will take any offer. Will it decrease my chances by not focussing on one program? I have GPA 3.0 from an irrelevant degree 13 years ago. Now I am in my second degree with 3.4 cGPA of last 33 credits. Not all are relevant courses. But after this semester my CGPA might drop to 3.3 ish.

Do you think I have a chance to get in?

Thanks again. It's nice to hear that I might have a chance.

...Will it decrease my chances by not focussing on one program?...

I don't think so. I know of many people who have applied to OT and PT programs at several schools and been successful. In fact, at the McMaster interview this year, they asked each interviewee if he/she was applying to OT, PT, or both. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Archived