Premed 101 Forums

Lines of credit for residents?

Hi

I'm in a bit of a unique situation. I'm a current Ontario resident, and a Canadian permanent resident. I'm also an American citizen, and I went to medical school in the US, with US government loans paying tuition. I'm very, very interested in bringing those loans back to Canada to avoid currency conversion fluctuations in the 10 years I expect it will take me to pay them off.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the major banks will extend lines of credit or professional loans, etc. to someone in my circumstances, to pay off the my US loans.

Thanks!

Alex

Are you in a Canadian residency program? If yes, any bank would be happy to do the transfer on your behalf and reap the interest benefits.

basically yeah. Only question I have is what is the amount of your US loans? There are still upper limits in Canada.

Thanks for your replies. It's US med school tuition, so, get ready for it... 360,000. Sweet, I know.

Alex

I don't think a bank is gonna cover you for the full amount, even with a co-signer. They might let you max out your LOC (typically about 200 to 250K).

Good luck. Also, ouch.

Meh, I bet a Canadian bank will cover you. I've heard second hand of people getting 300K+ on a case by case basis. They might want a consigner. You will have a steady income presumably if you are a Canadian resident. So you are a safe bet for them even with 360K debt. Live like a resident as staff and no reason why someone with normal circumstances couldn't pay that off over the years.

I've heard of larger debt than that from Canadians who went overseas...

Archived