Premed 101 Forums

White Coat Ceremony 2014

I'm imagining it to be like high school grad except everyone's older. Since I forgot to tell my parents about convocation I'm pretty sure they'll want in on this one. Unless your family's from out of province, it won't hurt to drive down to Hamilton for a night.

It's definitely something for the parents, although I do like the idea of getting a note from a McMaster alum. I wonder how badly they censor the responses they get, can you imagine getting a super negative note...

I think the type of people who take the time to write these kinds of things are usually positive and upbeat people. I don't think they would remove any of the notes for being too negative. But finding some with inappropriate humour wouldn't surprise me, those might get censored lol

Despite it being a formality, I'm still excited for it. I also didn't go to my high school grad and since I don't get to graduate from my undergrad, it'll be nice to have a ceremony where my parents can come and be proud.

Lol I did graduate from university, but my parents weren't too interested in coming to the ceremony and they didn't. They are, however, planning on coming to the white coat ceremony. :D

So this is something most parents will want to come to. You will all file in, and basically graduate in reverse. There are some speeches. They will announce your name, and your degrees, you will shake hands with all the deans and one of them will put your coat on you. Then you will get a photo taken.

The note you get from an alumnus is actually pretty neat. Someone who's been where you are, and is able to provide you some encouragement.

So this is something most parents will want to come to. You will all file in, and basically graduate in reverse. There are some speeches. They will announce your name, and your degrees, you will shake hands with all the deans and one of them will put your coat on you. Then you will get a photo taken.

The note you get from an alumnus is actually pretty neat. Someone who's been where you are, and is able to provide you some encouragement.

Literally? or figuratively?

Yeah, you walk in backwards from offstage carrying your diploma, then you shake hands with the dean and give it to him, then you walk backwards off the stage while someone reads your name and take a seat in front of the stage. Then the dean reads a few opening words and everyone leaves.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, you walk in backwards from offstage carrying your diploma, then you shake hands with the dean and give it to him, then you walk backwards off the stage while someone reads your name and take a seat in front of the stage. Then the dean reads a few opening words and everyone leaves.

Hilarious!

trojjanhorse - congratulations on getting in; been following your posts for a while.

Looking forward to welcoming you when you arrive in August.

LOL this is great!

Archived