Premed 101 Forums

U of A Course Schedule

fudoc

They used to have a pretty neat document that had courses listed in exactly each semester but I can't find it anymore. I can list off the courses if you'd like.

Fall Semester

PHARM 300 - Experiential Learning (Volunteering) - Full Year (50 hours)

PHARM 301 - Medicinal Chemistry (Structure-Activity Relationships + Absorption/Distribution/Metabolism/Elimination of Drugs)

PHARM 304 - Drug Information

PHARM 306 - Biomedical Science (Anatomy/Physiology/Pharmacology/Toxicology) - review if you have taken Physiology and Pharmacology in Sciences

PHARM 314 - Health Professional Communication I

PHARM 321 - Biotechnology and Immunology

PHARM 322 - Role of Pharmacist in Health Care System + Social Determinants of Health + Topics in Health Care (i.e. drug coverage, inter-professional collaboration)

PHARM 341 - Pharmaceutical Discovery and Math (Just a bunch of lectures on various research done by profs for 1/2 the course)

Winter Semester

PHARM 307 - Dermatology/EENT (1st therapeutic module)

PHARM 324 - Evidence Based Medicine

PHARM 334 - Health Professional Communication II

PHARM 331 - Pharmaceutics

PHARM 342 - Drug Use and Patient Care Process

As you can see, it isn't very clinical in 1st year. All the fun stuff is in 2nd and 3rd years. ;)

As an aside:

2nd Year (Fall): Pulmonary, Gastrointestinal, Hematology, Urology/Nephrology/Lab Values, Ethics and Laws, Pharmaceutics II, Radiopharmacy/Diagnostic Imaging, Pharmacokinetics, Comprehensive Patient Care Lab

2nd Year (Winter): Cardiology, Immunotherapetuics/Transplant, Epidemiology and Research, Nutrition, Pain, Interprofessional Health Team Development, Comprehensive Patient Care Lab

3rd Year: Bone/Joints, Neurology, Psychiatry, Endocrine, Women's/Men's Health, Infectious Diseases I and II, Pharmacy Management, Canadian Health Care System, Pediatrics/Geriatrics, Oncology, Comprehensive Patient Care Lab

*In each therapeutic module (i.e. GI), you will begin with Anatomy/Physiology online lectures... which is very convenient (less class time + go back as much as you want). After that, you will do couple of lectures on Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology. The majority will focus on pathophysiology + therapeutics.

As for the experience, I made a post for Class of 2018:

http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=916295&postcount=124

Hope this is helpful. :)

Would you be able to screen capture your time table, or tell us the hours of instruction on a day-to-day basis, and if there were breaks throughout the day? Not getting to make my own schedule is sad :( One of my favourite things about university...

They used to have a pretty neat document that had courses listed in exactly each semester but I can't find it anymore. I can list off the courses if you'd like.

*In each therapeutic module (i.e. GI), you will begin with Anatomy/Physiology online lectures... which is very convenient (less class time + go back as much as you want). After that, you will do couple of lectures on Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology. The majority will focus on pathophysiology + therapeutics.

As for the experience, I made a post for Class of 2018:

http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=916295&postcount=124

Wow, you make pharmacy sound so amazing! Why didn't you ever tell me about these courses? We could've been in the same class together!

Archived