Premed 101 Forums

MCAT seat available?

LeBronto2019

Now that summer has passed it's midway mark, I would like to extend a request to my pm101 family and especially those who have or will be receiving their scores soon. I wrote on july 2nd and did not feel confident with my overall performance, and hope to write once more this summer. I don't mind going somewhere close in the states (i.e. Washington, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, etc...I bet you can guess where I live :P ) but would prefer Canada.

If anyone plans to drop an Aug. 21 or Aug. 27 exam, can you please PM me? I'm not picky about where in Canada, but would just prefer it in this country. Can't seem to get studying on this stuff again unless I'm registered to write...

You may be compensated with lots of appreciation, love, and possibly dinner if its in your city ;)

Now that summer has passed it's midway mark, I would like to extend a request to my pm101 family and especially those who have or will be receiving their scores soon. I wrote on july 2nd and did not feel confident with my overall performance, and hope to write once more this summer. I don't mind going somewhere close in the states (i.e. Washington, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, etc...I bet you can guess where I live :P ) but would prefer Canada.

If anyone plans to drop an Aug. 21 or Aug. 27 exam, can you please PM me? I'm not picky about where in Canada, but would just prefer it in this country. Can't seem to get studying on this stuff again unless I'm registered to write...

You may be compensated with lots of appreciation, love, and possibly dinner if its in your city ;)

Spots always seem to open up around the date of the exam since people will be dropping because they're feeling unprepared. I would just go ahead and study with the confidence that something will open up. Keep checking, and I'm sure something will open as you approach the test date.

I was in your same situation. I wrote the July 2nd mcat, and I wanted to make sure I had a spot in August. This may sound crazy, but check in the middle of the night for spots. There was a thunderstorm one night, so I was awake and thought "might as well check if there's an mcat seat available". Turns out there was one, in Ontario, so I grabbed it right away (aug 15).

Keep your browser open on the page where you check for seats. There's a function on firefox I think where you can have constant refresh set to different time intervals (every 5secs or 1min for e.g.), and check the page every so often when you take a break from studying.

I did this for about a week and I eventually got a spot in Canada and even in the city of choice. But, again, spots usually open up closer to the write date.

You also could be surprised by your score. Post-test feelings aren't always accurate, especially because of the curve.

Thank you for the suggestions. I ended up staying awake late last night and Montreal opened up twice, missed them both times!! Hopefully lots of people aren't prepared ;)

For post-testing feelings, TRUST ME! It was awful! PS sucked, BS sucked, Verbal was alright (but usually when I think it's fine, it goes poorly). If only they didn't take a whole month to give us scores...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also thinking of switching out of my Aug 7th date and doing my test in Ohio - but have some anxiety about travelling the day/few days before the exam.

Anyone who has done this before have any advice?

I did this last year (to NYC) and am doing it again this year (to Charleston). There are things I am definitely changing this year that really did affect my stress levels last year.

(1) Not NYC. It was my first time there and the city was too big and loud. Choosing a smaller city this year will definitely make a difference on noise levels alone. I also wrote on Sept. 11 and there was this procession of fire trucks that lasted at least 20 minutes during verbal. I couldn't concentrate.

(2) Fly down and be in the city you're writing in for at least a couple of days before you write. I went down the day before my exam last year and I couldn't settle into a new environment for the next day, ended up not sleeping well, and was really frazzled on the day of the exam.

(3) Find your way to the test center in advance and, if you can, go inside to get a sense of the process and timing of things.

(4) Request a hotel room that is as quiet as possible (ie: away from elevators, ice machines, and other high traffic areas).

(5) This might sound stupid, but know where you're going to eat the morning of the exam so you aren't having to hunt around for food. I was stressed and quite nauseous on the day of my MCAT and finding a place to eat that would be ok on my stomach was an adventure I would have preferred to have not had.

Archived