Premed 101 Forums

Improving my R1-R7 from last year

I was curious how people feel about creating general categories (ex: community volunteering) for some elements of the top 10 experiences? Last year I was rejected pre-interview, but I feel like I was pretty close (score pre-interview was 100.39). I feel like including broader categories in my top 10 would allow me to better elaborate on the R1-R7 elements that I received lower scores than I would have liked by including many experiences that lump together to demonstrate a category that UofC specifically evaluates. I'm curious how people feel about mixing specific top 10 experiences with more broad experiences in the top 10?

I agree. While I don't know if it will help with scores, I plan on doing that too. Each experience is a combination of two-three activities, except for a few which are stand alone activities.

I'm just wondering how I would date them (the main date for experience). Naturally, I would want to put the dates of the activity with longest duration. That's okay, right? :confused:

For example:

Experience #1: Clinical Work

Description: XYZ from date X to date X; XYZ2 from date X to date X; XYZ3 from date X to date X

Impact: talk about the impact in an overall sense?

I was curious how people feel about creating general categories (ex: community volunteering) for some elements of the top 10 experiences? Last year I was rejected pre-interview, but I feel like I was pretty close (score pre-interview was 100.39). I feel like including broader categories in my top 10 would allow me to better elaborate on the R1-R7 elements that I received lower scores than I would have liked by including many experiences that lump together to demonstrate a category that UofC specifically evaluates. I'm curious how people feel about mixing specific top 10 experiences with more broad experiences in the top 10?

I think the most important thing to do is to be able to demonstrate how you have, or are capable of, meeting the qualities they are looking for a physician to possess. If you are able to show you meet two of those qualities in one activity (for example, you were a RA in a lab - therefore you possess knowledge of ethical practice as well as strong communications skills) or it takes a bunch of activities to describe a single attribute, it won't matter. The most important thing is you clearly demonstrate, through your activities, that you have those qualities.

I mean...I think. I'm not on the adcom or anything :)

I agree. While I don't know if it will help with scores, I plan on doing that too. Each experience is a combination of two-three activities, except for a few which are stand alone activities.

I'm just wondering how I would date them (the main date for experience). Naturally, I would want to put the dates of the activity with longest duration. That's okay, right? :confused:

For example:

Description: XYZ from date X to date X; XYZ2 from date X to date X; XYZ3 from date X to date X

yeah, that makes sense to me. :cool:

i kind of did that last year too for some, and will do the same again... scored well on some sections and not so well on others; i knew my strengths and weaknesses and the score reflected that.

Good point. When I review my writing from last year, it was either too campy or too general in many circumstances. I learned my lesson there, for sure. I also had too much emphasis in a couple of areas and not nearly enough in others. I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Good point. When I review my writing from last year, it was either too campy or too general in many circumstances. I learned my lesson there, for sure. I also had too much emphasis in a couple of areas and not nearly enough in others. I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

If you want an editor for your app I'm happy to help btw. DM me :)

For example:

Why would you put the date under the description?

Is that the format you have to make the entry in? If so, whats the difference between impact and description?

• 1 month later...

Archived