Premed 101 Forums

VR Full lengths

StriveP

I was wondering what is the importance of writing VR full lengths? The first time I wrote the VR I ended up getting below a 5 but that summer I never really did any full lengths. At the moment Im still scoring around 6-8s on EK101 and around 5-6 on AAMC #3 verbal (the only one I wrote so far). Would doing practice tests help?

I was wondering what is the importance of writing VR full lengths? The first time I wrote the VR I ended up getting below a 5 but that summer I never really did any full lengths. At the moment Im still scoring around 6-8s on EK101 and around 5-6 on AAMC #3 verbal (the only one I wrote so far). Would doing practice tests help?

Doing full-length practice is important because it trains you to focus for an extended amount of time.

I found that one of the biggest problems for me was keeping focussed throughout the entire test. After a section of physical sciences, keeping your mind fresh for VR can be difficult, which is why it's so important to practice under the same conditions. I think everyone can agree that you'll get a better score if you can keep a good level of concentration throughout the whole test, which you can prepare for by doing full-lengths.

Doing practice tests absolutely helps! I was in the exact same boat as you, scoring a 5 in VR on AAMC test #3. However that was about 3 months ago, since then i've been able to get my score to a 9 in VR and hoping to get a 10 soon enough! Practice is everything, honestly I was losing hope and thinking I would never do well in verbal but perseverance really helped. It's only in the last two weeks that i've seen this improvement. Doing full length verbals under times conditions is essential to get accustomed to. When I did single passages untimed I found I did decently well with only one or two wrong, but the second I started timing myself I would drop drastically and start getting 3 or more wrong per passage. You need to practice as many full lengths under times conditions as possible to improve your score. The more full length verbal passages and tests you do the better! Keep pushing on and you'll get to where you want! :)

Doing practice tests absolutely helps! I was in the exact same boat as you, scoring a 5 in VR on AAMC test #3. However that was about 3 months ago, since then i've been able to get my score to a 9 in VR and hoping to get a 10 soon enough! Practice is everything, honestly I was losing hope and thinking I would never do well in verbal but perseverance really helped. It's only in the last two weeks that i've seen this improvement. Doing full length verbals under times conditions is essential to get accustomed to. When I did single passages untimed I found I did decently well with only one or two wrong, but the second I started timing myself I would drop drastically and start getting 3 or more wrong per passage. You need to practice as many full lengths under times conditions as possible to improve your score. The more full length verbal passages and tests you do the better! Keep pushing on and you'll get to where you want! :)

Did you start doing full lengths in the last 2 weeks? And what did you do differently to improve to 9-10 from a 5? I've been practicing for 2 months now on and off doing 2-3 passages and have seen a slight improvement but its mostly about concentration for me. Some passages even if I redo it 3-4 times, I can only at 2 mistakes :(

I've been trying to do a full length test once a week, while during the other days of the week doing 1-2 passages a day. The biggest gap I took between doing passages was about 4 days maybe? During this week and next week i'll be doing a full length verbal test everyday which will be interesting to see the results. But I recommend doing at least 2 passages a day, more if you have the time! But try doing as many full length verbals as you can. I've done a lot of practice, approximately 160 passages so far to get me from 5 to a 9/10, and still about 105 more passages to go! The resources i've been using are TPR verbal book and EC 101 as well as all the practice tests from AAMC and the Verbal Diagnostic Test from AAMC!

Also another thing i've found helpful is doing what works best for you. I've tried taking little notes while reading the passage, i've tried looking at the questions before, highlighting stuff throughout the passage, reading it quickly without giving myself time to over think. It's taken me almost all this time to figure out what works best for me, i've only just realized it in the past 2 weeks. What I do is I read the passage paragraph by paragraph and once I finish a paragraph I pause and in my head I talk and explain what that paragraph was about, and continue this for each paragraph. I find after doing this when I go to tackle the questions I have a really good understanding of the passage and am able to find the correct answer very quickly. Doing this has also cut my time back a lot! I find I'm able to do passages in 5 minutes sometimes now with only 1 or 2 minor mistakes!

PS. sorry for the rant, hope this sort of helps! :D

Archived