Premed 101 Forums

DAT Help?!

Hi guys - I am hoping to write the DAT for the first time this November. So far I have ordered the CDA manual and started practicing soap carving. I have also heard from several friends that the Rock the DAT course put on by dental students is really helpful. Has anyone else taken the course and been happy with their DAT scores after? Is it really worth the money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much :)

I took Rock the DAT and ended up getting a decent DAT score (26 reading, 23 PAT, 27 carving). I didn't use many other resources other than the course. Rock the DAT isn't cheap, but the way I looked at it was an investment. $400 is nothing compared to what dental school tuition is and I only had to write the DAT once (saving me the registration fee for a second DAT ~$290). And now that I got in, I'll hopefully be able to repay it all after I'm done!

Hey guys,

I was also wondering if anyone here would recommend Kaplan for DAT? Their course is very expensive but I was just wondering if anyone found it helpful?

Also, do schools in Canada require carving?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I started looking into dent just recently

Hey guys,

I was also wondering if anyone here would recommend Kaplan for DAT? Their course is very expensive but I was just wondering if anyone found it helpful?

As far as I know, these are the Canadian schools who look at carving scores: U of A, U of S, and U of M. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I only applied to Ontario schools.

I can't comment on the DAT course since I didn't take it, but I don't think it's necessary. I just invested in some resources and was able to get good scores. Everyone I know did the same and managed to also get great scores. It all boils down to your personal preference. It may be expensive, but you can definitely look at it as an investment for your future. This applies to both the course and the DAT resources.

Hey guys,

Here's how I saw it since I took it this summer, may- june. I'm pretty strong in bio, gen chem, the PAT and a little bit of the orgo. But math i have difficulties in. So the course was able to boost me in that area a little bit, because their course comes with quizzes, lessons (on-demand), workshops for all subject areas.

So if you plan on taking the American DAT, take the Kaplan course, if you're doing the Canadian DAT, don't take the kaplan course.

the only thing i didn't like about the course was the way it was structured

As far as I know, these are the Canadian schools who look at carving scores: U of A, U of S, and U of M. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I only applied to Ontario schools.

I can't comment on the DAT course since I didn't take it, but I don't think it's necessary. I just invested in some resources and was able to get good scores. Everyone I know did the same and managed to also get great scores. It all boils down to your personal preference. It may be expensive, but you can definitely look at it as an investment for your future. This applies to both the course and the DAT resources.

Thanks dude! :)

Here's how I saw it since I took it this summer, may- june. I'm pretty strong in bio, gen chem, the PAT and a little bit of the orgo. But math i have difficulties in. So the course was able to boost me in that area a little bit, because their course comes with quizzes, lessons (on-demand), workshops for all subject areas.

So if you plan on taking the American DAT, take the Kaplan course, if you're doing the Canadian DAT, don't take the kaplan course.

the only thing i didn't like about the course was the way it was structured

it makes sense! you are correct, thanks !

I took Rock the DAT and ended up getting a decent DAT score (26 reading, 23 PAT, 27 carving). I didn't use many other resources other than the course. Rock the DAT isn't cheap, but the way I looked at it was an investment. $400 is nothing compared to what dental school tuition is and I only had to write the DAT once (saving me the registration fee for a second DAT ~$290). And now that I got in, I'll hopefully be able to repay it all after I'm done!

Wow, great scores! Great point about the cost - I will definitely be signing up!

Archived