Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Application Help Re: Hours

Hey guys!

Under some of the categories (Employment, etc.) there is an hours text box. In the information above it asks for total hours however I am not sure what the total hours are for some of the activities I have done.

What should I put here?

An estimate or an approximation of the hours worked per week I work for a length of time (15 hours/week)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Don't worry, but make sure it is a reasonable estimate because anything on your application could be validated by contacting the references you give for each activity.

Yup, this is the only important thing. If you have a verifier you suspect might be finicky about the number of hours it'd be wise to check the number with them first on the off chance they're contacted. I've heard of verifiers disputing an entry over the number of hours and that never looks good on the applicant. I knew none of my verifiers would care though so just put down rough estimates and how I calculated them if there was enough room.

Yeah as long as it's reasonable, shouldn't matter. As long as you're not saying a part-time position was 40 hours a week or something, a little leeway is okay. I agree with jmatt, probably easiest to clear things up with a verifier you think might be a stickler in advance. One of my verifiers was asked about the hours worked - it varied anywhere from 8 hours a week to 14 so I put down 10-11 and she said that was fine.

I have a similar question - if we have been doing activities most of our lives (e.g., I was riding horses before I could even walk) - for the year "to -- from" do we put the year since we were 16 or can we go even further back? I know OMSAS says activities since 16.... Thanks!

I have a similar question - if we have been doing activities most of our lives (e.g., I was riding horses before I could even walk) - for the year "to -- from" do we put the year since we were 16 or can we go even further back? I know OMSAS says activities since 16.... Thanks!

Put the date when you started the activity

• 2 weeks later...

Say you are joining a new club for the first time in September:

If you put this on OMSAS, how many hours do you put on your application? Do you estimate how many hours you expect to be involved in it from the time you start until the oct. 1st deadline? Is this the same for all other extracurriculars? (from the time you start to oct. 1st, or are you supposed to project further....?)

Say you are joining a new club for the first time in September:

If you put this on OMSAS, how many hours do you put on your application? Do you estimate how many hours you expect to be involved in it from the tie you start until the oct. 1st deadline? Is this the same for all other extracurriculars? (from the time you start to oct. 1st, or are you supposed to project further....?)

I would leave that entry till the end, and add in the hours/week once you get a better idea of what its demands on your time are.

Archived