Premed 101 Forums

Should I include these in my ABS?

I have two certificates from high school that I'm not sure if I should include as separate entries in my ABS.

One is a business certificate, which was given to students who completed 5 or more business courses throughout high school. The other one is a French Certificate for students who took French till Grade 12. This certificate technically means that I can call myself bilingual because I've learned all of the basic grammatical structures to properly use the language.

I originally listed these two certificates under one general entry ("High School Awards"). But I don't have enough space to explain either of them and I do have a few empty spots remaining. I figured I could list them as separate entries on my ABS because they highlight competence in subject areas (Business and French) that my science degree does not.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions?

Thank you in advance :)

If you have space, separate them, if you don't, group them. Not a big deal.

However, if you decide to list your self as bilingual, you'd better make sure you are fluent. Doesn't matter what a certificate says. If someone in the interview process decides to speak to you in french and you have no clue, you'll end up making a fool out of yourself and at the same time be labeled as someone who is trying to mislead.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but am preventing myself from creating a new one. Same question but:

I have played chess since I was 7 and won regional and provincial tournaments in grades 6-9. Although I'm not competitive in tournaments anymore, I still play on online tournaments, play with peers, and study the game quite in detail as a hobby. I think it's helped a lot with my understanding of patience, taking a step back and re-evaluating decisions in life, thinking things through, creating short and long term goals, etc. Is it possible to include it for applications? I think I have a decent use of it as a UofC top 10 because it's been a big part of my life and impacted me positively, but would the fact that I haven't been active in the community with it for so long influence how they'd view it? And I wouldn't know who to ask for a verifier except maybe family (unless I can locate the chess club people)...

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but am preventing myself from creating a new one. Same question but:

I have played chess since I was 7 and won regional and provincial tournaments in grades 6-9. Although I'm not competitive in tournaments anymore, I still play on online tournaments, play with peers, and study the game quite in detail as a hobby. I think it's helped a lot with my understanding of patience, taking a step back and re-evaluating decisions in life, thinking things through, creating short and long term goals, etc. Is it possible to include it for applications? I think I have a decent use of it as a UofC top 10 because it's been a big part of my life and impacted me positively, but would the fact that I haven't been active in the community with it for so long influence how they'd view it? And I wouldn't know who to ask for a verifier except maybe family (unless I can locate the chess club people)...

Ideally, you could put the chess club people or someone who knows you won a regional tournament as verifiers (or a peer after you've exhausted those prior options). Based on your explanation of how it shaped you, you should definitely include it in your app. It does not have to be something you do for the community that makes it a valid item. I have a similar item as you, for piano, included it on my U of C app and got accepted there.

If you have space, separate them, if you don't, group them. Not a big deal.

However, if you decide to list your self as bilingual, you'd better make sure you are fluent. Doesn't matter what a certificate says. If someone in the interview process decides to speak to you in french and you have no clue, you'll end up making a fool out of yourself and at the same time be labeled as someone who is trying to mislead.

I don't plan on listing myself as bilingual. Simply that I completed a four-year Core French Program.

Archived