Premed 101 Forums

U of T Dentistry Prereq Question

I was looking at the academic requirements for U of T Dentistry and I had some questions..

It says I have to take 2.0 credits in Life Sciences, which include Biology. Do they also count the first year general biology courses?

Also, for 1.0 credit in humanities or social science requirement, do they count psychology courses?

On the admissions site, they list "biology" under the life science courses. However, keep in mind that a first year biology course (for example, intro cell biology) can satisfy the general biochemistry prereq, along with another biochem course. I e-mailed admissions to inquire about this and that's what they told me. They also ask for additional life science courses, so they may not count the same biology course as a life science prereq. They did not list psychology under the humanities or social sciences. It's best to contact them directly just to make sure that you'll have all the necessary courses when you apply.  

On the admissions site, they list "biology" under the life science courses. However, keep in mind that a first year biology course (for example, intro cell biology) can satisfy the general biochemistry prereq, along with another biochem course. I e-mailed admissions to inquire about this and that's what they told me. They also ask for additional life science courses, so they may not count the same biology course as a life science prereq. They did not list psychology under the humanities or social sciences. It's best to contact them directly just to make sure that you'll have all the necessary courses when you apply.  

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it.

This is kind of off-topic to this thread but do you know how U of T or Western assess applicant's GPA? I know they drop the lowest year (for U of T), but I heard some rumor saying that they ALWAYS look at the applicant's final year GPA regardless of whether it's the lowest or not. Is this true..? I'm planning on finishing my undergrad in 3 years and I'm pretty confident that my third year GPA is going to be the lowest of the 3 years since I'm pushing all the essay courses to the third year. In this case, if I apply after I graduate, do they include the third year GPA even if it's the lowest of all?

This is kind of off-topic to this thread but do you know how U of T or Western assess applicant's GPA? I know they drop the lowest year (for U of T), but I heard some rumor saying that they ALWAYS look at the applicant's final year GPA regardless of whether it's the lowest or not. Is this true..? I'm planning on finishing my undergrad in 3 years and I'm pretty confident that my third year GPA is going to be the lowest of the 3 years since I'm pushing all the essay courses to the third year. In this case, if I apply after I graduate, do they include the third year GPA even if it's the lowest of all?

That is not a rumor, it says on the U of T website that they will drop your lowest year if it's not your most recent year.

So if you did year 1, 2, 3. They will drop the lower one of your year 1&2 but your 3rd year is calculated into your admission GPA for sure...

No problem. U of T will only drop your lowest year if you have completed 4 or more years by May 31st of the proposed year of entry. So if you apply in 3rd year, they won't drop any years and will calculate your GPA using years 1 and 2. If you apply after you graduate from a 3-year program, they will calculate it using years 1-3. They won't be able to calculate your marks from your current year because applications are due in December. For example, I applied in 4th year and they dropped my first year, and calculated my GPA using years 2 and 3 (not 4, since I was currently in 4th year).

Western uses % instead of GPA, and they take your best two-years (not including your current year, since applications are also due in December). However, to apply there, you need to be in the final year of (or have already completed) a four-year undergrad degree.  

Archived