Premed 101 Forums

Not Sure If I'm On The Right Track. Looking For Advice/feedback.

I just graduated in Biology, and in terms of numbers, here's where I stand:

Cumulative GPA: 3.45
GPA of last 2 full years excluding summer: 3.735
GPA of last 10/20/30 courses: 3.66/3.645/3.61
No MCAT
110 hours shadowing physiotherapist at hospital
Decent extracurricular activity with experiences in leadership position

I kind of holed up this summer and doubted any chance of getting into med school with my grades. Now summer is nearly over and it's too late for me to apply for this cycle. 

I regret a lot of what I did, but now I'm just looking forward to what I can do next. I plan to apply to an accelerated nursing program and physiotherapy school this year, while writing the 2015 MCAT and applying to med school for the next cycle. I don't know if this is what I should be doing though. Though I would be satisfied with nursing/physiotherapy, ultimately, I want to be in med school as soon as possible. 

I don't know if I'm being too optimistic, but is it even realistic to get into a med school with my GPA right now? or physiotherapy school for that matter?  I know queens looks at the last 2 years, but the cutoffs seem to be getting higher and higher every year, or maybe that's just in my head. I screwed up by re-taking a couple courses, so I'm not eligible for Western either because I don't have 2 good full years.

Also, how do med schools look at professional degrees? I read that most have some policy towards grad students, but is there anything for professional degrees like physio?

I just graduated in Biology, and in terms of numbers, here's where I stand:

Cumulative GPA: 3.45

GPA of last 2 full years excluding summer: 3.735

GPA of last 10/20/30 courses: 3.66/3.645/3.61

No MCAT

110 hours shadowing physiotherapist at hospital

Decent extracurricular activity with experiences in leadership position

I kind of holed up this summer and doubted any chance of getting into med school with my grades. Now summer is nearly over and it's too late for me to apply for this cycle. 

I regret a lot of what I did, but now I'm just looking forward to what I can do next. I plan to apply to an accelerated nursing program and physiotherapy school this year, while writing the 2015 MCAT and applying to med school for the next cycle. I don't know if this is what I should be doing though. Though I would be satisfied with nursing/physiotherapy, ultimately, I want to be in med school as soon as possible. 

I don't know if I'm being too optimistic, but is it even realistic to get into a med school with my GPA right now? or physiotherapy school for that matter?  I know queens looks at the last 2 years, but the cutoffs seem to be getting higher and higher every year, or maybe that's just in my head. I screwed up by re-taking a couple courses, so I'm not eligible for Western either because I don't have 2 good full years.

Also, how do med schools look at professional degrees? I read that most have some policy towards grad students, but is there anything for professional degrees like physio?

Nursing is not generally recommended as a premed degree as the material can be quite subjective and maintaining a high GPA can be difficult. As well, as an RN I feel nursing school is not something someone should put themselves through unless they are really sure (or at least *think* they are really sure) that they want to be a nurse. I can't speak to physio, but I imagine the training is quite difficult as well. If your end goal is to become a physician, focus on getting into med school. From what I can tell, having a professional degree doesn't give you many advantages. My work experience might help me out in interviews, but other than that, I'm not a whole lot better off than some who has a gen Bsc. and worked 4 years at McDonald's.

Your best bet may be to do another year of full time to get your GPA up. I think this would likely open you up to more Ontario schools, and even perhaps some OOP schools if you can get it high enough. Having said that, you will also need to be preparing to write the MCAT at the same time in order to apply this next cycle. A possible plan would be to take 5 courses a term this fall and focus on the MCAT over the summer. Or pursue another UG altogether (see the sticky on this forum).

You need to look at the specific requirements of the schools you are applying to and make your decision based on what would give you the most opportunity at the most schools.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ntfcIOJjopZnlIaWZuMXNvbFk/preview

Birdy made this a while ago, you may find it useful when making your plan. As for the regret, dust your self off and move it along. Nontrads are full of coulda shoulda wouldas, but it doesn't get us anywhere. Take what you have at this moment and make it and make the most out of it. Go through all your info,make a plan of action, and go for it!

Archived