Premed 101 Forums

Does Anyone Feel That Our Generation Is Seriously F#$(*@ed?

duoduoa

It seems every profession is turning into sh@$#@t...

pharmacy: massive lay-off everywhere, thank you so much, mcguinty, a middle finger right to your right eye.

actuary: becoming saturated

research: I know a ivy physics phd who worked at a summer camp, and that was 10 years ago.

mba: i know a ivy mba who worked at the same summer camp as the kitchen manager.

I just don't see any jobs that can provide a stable and decent income anymore, except medicine, and seriously how long do you think that's going to last...?

maybe engineering? do they still make money these days?

Wow that is bleak :)

Although I think there are a lot of economic factors at play (bottom line is you can have cheap goods, or high paying jobs - you cannot have both. So far we have picked cheap goods and that has consequences). We are still just coming out of the biggest recession since the great depression having made up the lost time as it were - those that didn't sell their shares in 2009 have had there money double in 5 years.  That being said there has been increasing gaps in income and wealth between the top and bottom that are worrying. Social mobility is not as good as it should be. 

as a side note - I do find it a bit funny with all the standard unionized bashing going on - often from people in professions - where they too are basically in a quasi union (for good reasons actually). That is one of the big reasons they pay was in fact so high - control supply.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that is bleak :)

Although I think there are a lot of economic factors at play (bottom line is you can have cheap goods, or high paying jobs - you cannot have both. So far we have picked cheap goods and that has consequences). We are still just coming out of the biggest recession since the great depression having made up the lost time as it were - those that didn't sell their shares in 2009 have had there money double in 5 years.  That being said there has been increasing gaps in income and wealth between the top and bottom that are worrying. Social mobility is not as good as it should be. 

as a side note - I do find it a bit funny with all the standard unionized bashing going on - often from people in professions - where they too are basically in a quasi union (for good reasons actually). That is one of the big reasons they pay was in fact so high - control supply.

Please never stop posting. :)

Archived