Premed 101 Forums

Fixing Extra-Curriculars Before Next Year

exitmusic

Hi everyone, little bit of a hypothetical here:

If you have 1 year to "fix" your EC's before your first application cycle what would you do?

I'm going into 3rd year and plan on applying next summer. But my EC's are piss poor due to lets say....... less "sober" EC's over my last 2-3 years. Lukcily I managed to keep the rest of my application competitive......... I hope.

I have 13 months to change this and look respectable enough as an applicant to get interviews.

In such a position, how would you fix this? :)

Thanks!

Generally I would recommend starting with smaller roles and work your way up over a period of time to show commitment, learning, and personal development. 13 months is a little limited-but not impossible- to do this, however, especially since you haven't found a target yet. I would personally go with something that allows you to jump right in and be of impact or offers a level of flexibility where the more you put in,the more your impact can be quantitatively measured, instead of something passive that just requires showing up, because you really have no time to waste.

Something that comes to mind is st. Johns ambulance. No tedious volunteer selection process as far as I know. Show up for training, learn fast, and sign yourself up for as many events as you want. Definitely significant in terms of your responsibilities.

I think the fact that you feel you need to "fix" them is an awful approach. Maybe spend less time getting "less sober" and see how else you could better yours or, preferably, other people's lives. 

Standard pre-med out of touch with normal people answer.

Face it, EC's are just another hoop to jump through, they say very little about your ability as a physician, congratulations your uncle's cousin's friend got you in with a cardiologist to shadow...

Just pick a few good commitments that you can stick with for a year and make legit contributions to.

-Maybe something to show leadership (TA, tutor, join student council.)

-Something that shows you're a smartie pants (get involved in some research?)

-And something that shows you're a well-rounded human being (join any club you're interested in or take music lessons or join a sports league or whatever you want)

Then stick with those three things all year:)

Then just keep your eyes open for smaller opportunities throughout the year. Someone's always looking for volunteers.

Just pick a few good commitments that you can stick with for a year and make legit contributions to.

-Maybe something to show leadership (TA, tutor, join student council.)

-Something that shows you're a smartie pants (get involved in some research?)

-And something that shows you're a well-rounded human being (join any club you're interested in or take music lessons or join a sports league or whatever you want)

Then stick with those three things all year:)

Then just keep your eyes open for smaller opportunities throughout the year. Someone's always looking for volunteers.

Yeah I like this, hit things like leadership, scholar, altruism, hobby hard for a year.

It does kind of suck though because they'll clearly see a sort of "back-heavy" approach and less long term stuff.

Face it, EC's are just another hoop to jump through, they say very little about your ability as a physician, congratulations your uncle's cousin's friend got you in with a cardiologist to shadow...

But clearly by your attitude, you couldn't care less about anything enough to get involved with. Obviously shadowing a cardiologist is med-specific, but if you have any interests, they'd show what person you are. I'm not saying that if you volunteer at a hospital, you're trying too hard (even though most people are) but if you like a sport or some crazy activity, why wouldn't you be part of all that already? You don't need typical premed things as ECs, you can do whatever you want. If you've seen me on this forum, you'd know I hate ECs more than anyone else and personally target people for being stupid premeds. You seem to know that its a fact with medical school that you have to do things to get in; some people do typical things and some have unique hobbies without trying so hard. Close friends of mine are doing the same as you with first and second years being too school focused and now its cram time, but it's really your loss if all your ECs were all compressed within the last 6 months. 

But it's really funny how you're aiming for "altruism".

They say quite a bit about your character and attitude as a physician, particularly your statement above. 

ECs still stands for extra-cirriculars, don't they?

In what world is having a life outside of university/work a 'hoop to jump through?'  Most people relish the thought of spending time with their hobbies, friends, and family. 

But clearly by your attitude, you couldn't care less about anything enough to get involved with. Obviously shadowing a cardiologist is med-specific, but if you have any interests, they'd show what person you are. I'm not saying that if you volunteer at a hospital, you're trying too hard (even though most people are) but if you like a sport or some crazy activity, why wouldn't you be part of all that already? You don't need typical premed things as ECs, you can do whatever you want. If you've seen me on this forum, you'd know I hate ECs more than anyone else and personally target people for being stupid premeds. You seem to know that its a fact with medical school that you have to do things to get in; some people do typical things and some have unique hobbies without trying so hard. Close friends of mine are doing the same as you with first and second years being too school focused and now its cram time, but it's really your loss if all your ECs were all compressed within the last 6 months. 

But it's really funny how you're aiming for "altruism".

Oh lord stop sounding so sanctimonious. 

I know that personally, I would have become involved with ECs either way because I can be very shy and it's been a wonderful way for me to connect with people and develop a friend circle. Would I have pushed myself to pursue opportunities that matter to me had it not been for med? Probably not as hard. But I would definitely still have been involved.

Maybe you can't, but some people actually participate in activities with their friends and family.  

Who would ever contest this? Or say it's not a good idea to? "Actually" spending time with friends and family is completely irrelevant to what the OP asked about, which is about extracurricular activities that can be put on an essential part of the medical school application. 

You decided to extend his question about building up a CV to essentially not having a social life. Rolling...my....eyes....

If you think that he/she made a wrong decision by planning to do this all in 6 months and literally did squat for the rest of his/her education, which I would agree with, then fine - don't you think the process is competitive enough to punish him/her for that?

I'd love it if people would just drop the holier-than-thou attitude at the door. We're all in this very difficult process together. Don't try and debase the worthiness of an entire person's year just because you pursued a different path. I don't think you understand the consequence your judgement can have on that person's motivation to keep doing. Afterall, if everyone says they are already not going to make a good physician just because of the distribution of their ECs, wouldn't YOU have lower morale? 

I know that personally, I would have become involved with ECs either way because I can be very shy and it's been a wonderful way for me to connect with people and develop a friend circle. Would I have pushed myself to pursue opportunities that matter to me had it not been for med? Probably not as hard. But I would definitely still have been involved.

Thank you...this reflects probably 99% of the medical school population. Forget medical school in particular - people build experiences on their resumes for ANYTHING. Experience, like grades, is currency. If you want a good job, you build experience. If you want to get into a PHD program, you build research experience. If you want to get into a medical program, you build the necessary experience as well. 

Saying things like "if you haven't gotten any experience on a consistent level, you clearly don't want medicine for the right reasons" are frankly outrageous. How can you possibly make a huge generalization like that on the basis of your own path to medicine? If you feel like you're doing everything for the right reasons, then I'm truly happy for you and I'm sure you live a industrious, pleasant life. But why the generalizations against people who have chosen different paths? How do you know that because they are starting to get the necessary ECs now, they still won't learn, grow and benefit from them? Why do you think that the breadth and depth of ECs are even relevant to how good of a physician you'll really be? McMaster has already cast doubt on this assumption through their research, part of the reason they instituted CASper. 

I think everyone is correct haha. I just think your posts were misinterpreted. It seemed like you were saying that ECs are ONLY useful as a means to an end and I think others are arguing that that's not the case. That they give you an opportunity to excel and explore beyond academics. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I know that I would have been involved whether or not I was applying to medicine. However, the pursuit of medicine did encourage me to push myself harder than I would have otherwise. That's not to say I took on ECs that I hated for the SOLE purpose of getting into medical school. I did not. On the contrary, I took on MORE ECs that I loved to improve my application and to develop personally and professionally. I think its a balance. 

Who would ever contest this? Or say it's not a good idea to? "Actually" spending time with friends and family is completely irrelevant to what the OP asked about, which is about extracurricular activities that can be put on an essential part of the medical school application. 

You decided to extend his question about building up a CV to essentially not having a social life. Rolling...my....eyes....

If you think that he/she made a wrong decision by planning to do this all in 6 months and literally did squat for the rest of his/her education, which I would agree with, then fine - don't you think the process is competitive enough to punish him/her for that?

I'd love it if people would just drop the holier-than-thou attitude at the door. We're all in this very difficult process together. Don't try and debase the worthiness of an entire person's year just because you pursued a different path. I don't think you understand the consequence your judgement can have on that person's motivation to keep doing. Afterall, if everyone says they are already not going to make a good physician just because of the distribution of their ECs, wouldn't YOU have lower morale? 

What are you even talking about?

For starters, I was not talking to the OP; I was talking to you.  Specifically your claim, and I quote, that "EC's are just another hoop to jump through," for which I strongly disagree with.  Extra-cirruclars are anything you do outside of work and academics, from playing intramural sports with your friends, to white water rafting on the weekends, to going to local fundraisers with family members.  In general, they're things people like to do, so calling them 'hoops' is ridiculous.  

Now I do realize that there's a tendency for pre-medical students to limit ECs to a series of cookie cutter activities (i.e. hospital volunteering, shadowing, research, etc), but that's not reality.  The point of listing, and talking about, your ECs on that application is to showcase the fact that you have the skills necessary to be a successful physician.  Things like being able to communicate, work in a team, take on a leadership position, empathize with others, deal appropriately with stress/conflict, etc.  There's no 'one way' to develop any of those skills, so if you have to pick a way to do it, use the things that you already enjoy to your advantage. 

I'm not sure how my previous post had a "holier-than-thou attitude," pushed judgment on anyone, or discredited the OPs coming year.  But, read into it what you will. 

For starters, I was not talking to the OP; I was talking to you.  Specifically your claim, and I quote, that "EC's are just another hoop to jump through," for which I strongly disagree with.  Extra-cirruclars are anything you do outside of work and academics, from playing intramural sports with your friends, to white water rafting on the weekends, to going to local fundraisers with family members.  In general, they're things people like to do, so calling them 'hoops' is ridiculous.  

Now I do realize that there's a tendency for pre-medical students to limit ECs to a series of cookie cutter activities (i.e. hospital volunteering, shadowing, research, etc), but that's not reality.  The point of listing, and talking about, your ECs on that application is to showcase the fact that you have the skills necessary to be a successful physician.  Things like being able to communicate, work in a team, take on a leadership position, empathize with others, deal appropriately with stress/conflict, etc.  There's no 'one way' to develop any of those skills, so if you have to pick a way to do it, use the things that you already enjoy to your advantage. 

I'm not sure how my previous post had a "holier-than-thou attitude," pushed judgment on anyone, or discredited the OPs coming year.  But, read into it what you will. 

I never called them a hoop to jump through. You're confusing posters.

Your "holier-than-thou" attitude comes across because your post "some people actually spend time with friends and family" implies that the OP has no social life. In this dialogue, all he said was that he wanted this year to build his ECs and was practically shamed for the question. 

This is where I took issue. 

I never called them a hoop to jump through. You're confusing posters.

Your "holier-than-thou" attitude comes across because your post "some people actually spend time with friends and family" implies that the OP has no social life. In this dialogue, all he said was that he wanted this year to build his ECs and was practically shamed for the question. 

This is where I took issue. 

Okay, when you decided to respond to a question I directed towards someone else, you assumed their position, unless you state otherwise.  

Anyway... I would consider rereading that post, because I was clearly directing my comment towards you, not the OP.  However, on that note, I wasn't saying that anyone didn't have a social life.  I was saying that just because you, or whoever else, doesn't like to go out and participate in organized activities with loved ones, doesn't mean no one else does.  For example, if one of the Dafour-Lapointe sisters applied to medical school, do you think she'd leave out the fact she practiced and competed with her sister?  I doubt it.  In my mind, she got to simultaneously spend time with family and 'build her CV,' which would refute your original point that, "you can't put spending time with friends and family on an application."

Not all the extracurriculars that everyone does is appropriate for a medical application (i.e. drinking like OP's case). I didn't read the entire thread but I think this is the point that TurkeyHasTryptophan is trying to make. Some people choose to drink and go out regularly, some people choose to smoke weed all day (or other substances. Some medical students on this forum choose to drop acid because they believe an altered state of perception of reality is a good experience in personal development), some people choose to watch documentaries, t.v. shows, movies, poker, etc. (actually one of the PGY2 residents on this forum was a former compulsive gambler) So yes, ECs that are medical school appropriate ARE another hoop to jump through for some people like the OP. Every experience in your life builds character, but you can't put everything on a medical school application because you will be judged by people that don't know enough about the activity. For example, I'm pretty damn sure a recovering opiate addict has been through more hardships and can handle stress in medical school much better than me or you, but would anyone in their right mind put that on a professional school application? Lastly, not everyone has a fully functional family (if they're lucky to have one at all), and not everyone's friends like to go white water rafting on the weekends. 

@OP: EC's are NOT that important. I've talked to lots of people in medical school and GPA/MCAT is more improtant than anything (which you've managed to keep up which is good). To quote a friend of mine doing her residency, "if you don't have the GPA, then like, umm, don't worry -- you're not getting in." No EC in the world is going to compensate for incompetence. But do a few big ones like volunteering and research, and have a few unique experiences that can contribute to the diversity of the entering medical class. Also, make sure you know why you're pursuing medicine

Okay, when you decided to respond to a question I directed towards someone else, you assumed their position, unless you state otherwise.  Faulty logic. 

Anyway... I would consider rereading that post, because I was clearly directing my comment towards you, not the OP. It's patronizing either way. However, on that note, I wasn't saying that anyone didn't have a social life. That's the implication. I was saying that just because you, or whoever else, doesn't like to go out and participate I.e., just because I don't have a social life? See bolded before. in organized activities with loved ones, doesn't mean no one else does and I was saying that nobody said anything about a social life. You can't put the vast majority of your social activites on an application! You brought in something completely irrelevant and presumptuous in a sanctimonious way into a conversation about ECs.  For example, if one of the Dafour-Lapointe sisters applied to medical school, do you think she'd leave out the fact she practiced and competed with her sister?  I doubt it.  In my mind, she got to simultaneously spend time with family and 'build her CV,' which would refute your original point that, "you can't put spending time with friends and family on an application." Extreme example not reflective of most social experiences. 

Not all the extracurriculars that everyone does is appropriate for a medical application (i.e. drinking like OP's case). I didn't read the entire thread but I think this is the point that TurkeyHasTryptophan is trying to make. Some people choose to drink and go out regularly, some people choose to smoke weed all day (or other substances. Some medical students on this forum choose to drop acid because they believe an altered state of perception of reality is a good experience in personal development), some people choose to watch documentaries, t.v. shows, movies, poker, etc. (actually one of the PGY2 residents on this forum was a former compulsive gambler) So yes, ECs that are medical school appropriate ARE another hoop to jump through for some people like the OP. Every experience in your life builds character, but you can't put everything on a medical school application because you will be judged by people that don't know enough about the activity. For example, I'm pretty damn sure a recovering opiate addict has been through more hardships and can handle stress in medical school much better than me or you, but would anyone in their right mind put that on a professional school application? Lastly, not everyone has a fully functional family (if they're lucky to have one at all), and not everyone's friends like to go white water rafting on the weekends. 

@OP: EC's are NOT that important. I've talked to lots of people in medical school and GPA/MCAT is more improtant than anything (which you've managed to keep up which is good). To quote a friend of mine doing her residency, "if you don't have the GPA, then like, umm, don't worry -- you're not getting in." No EC in the world is going to compensate for incompetence. But do a few big ones like volunteering and research, and have a few unique experiences that can contribute to the diversity of the entering medical class. Also, make sure you know why you're pursuing medicine

Thank you. In addition, the fact that just because somebody is only now pursuing ECs (i.e. in their third year) doesn't mean they aren't genuinely interested in being a physician, as some of the other comments suggested. 

Okay, when you decided to respond to a question I directed towards someone else, you assumed their position, unless you state otherwise.  Faulty logic. 

Anyway... I would consider rereading that post, because I was clearly directing my comment towards you, not the OP. It's patronizing either way. However, on that note, I wasn't saying that anyone didn't have a social life. That's the implication. I was saying that just because you, or whoever else, doesn't like to go out and participate I.e., just because I don't have a social life? See bolded before. in organized activities with loved ones, doesn't mean no one else does and I was saying that nobody said anything about a social life. You can't put the vast majority of your social activites on an application! You brought in something completely irrelevant and presumptuous in a sanctimonious way into a conversation about ECs.  For example, if one of the Dafour-Lapointe sisters applied to medical school, do you think she'd leave out the fact she practiced and competed with her sister?  I doubt it.  In my mind, she got to simultaneously spend time with family and 'build her CV,' which would refute your original point that, "you can't put spending time with friends and family on an application." Extreme example not reflective of most social experiences. 

You know, you're absolutely right.  About my patronizing comment, that is.  Did you notice right away that I was being sarcastic, or did it just come to you now?  

Actually, now that I think about it, I could have worded it better.  Maybe used a little more urban slang, or an outrageous amount of sTyliZinG ... Definitely something to think about next time.  I've also been working on my presumptuous wording (I'm really glad that came across), and if it ain't sanctimonious, why bother, right?  ;)

image.png

I wasn't insulting you, or anyone else, I'm sorry you had to take it that way.  :(

This was a very well though out response, thank you for sharing.

Archived