Premed 101 Forums

Question About Dental School

Hi, I might apply to dental school in the future but I don't know much about it.

I have a couple quick questions.

1. Do Dental schools care much aout ecs/volunteering/research --> I read that not really.

2. Do dental schools care mostly about gap/dat?. 

3. How much does a dentist make on average in toronto per year?

4.  Realistically, what gpa do you need to land an interview? I have no problem in getting a 3.9+ but I just want to know

what gpa you realistically need.

Hi, I might apply to dental school in the future but I don't know much about it.

I have a couple quick questions.

1. Do Dental schools care much aout ecs/volunteering/research --> I read that not really.

2. Do dental schools care mostly about gap/dat?. 

3. How much does a dentist make on average in toronto per year?

4.  Realistically, what gpa do you need to land an interview? I have no problem in getting a 3.9+ but I just want to know

what gpa you realistically need.

1. Not really to be honest. It's good to have but not a requirement

2. Yes, i like to compare medical school to a marathon, it's long and hard. Dental is like a 100m sprint....Yeah you get it. 

3. It's hard to say in Toronto atm...but it varies. 

4. It's different for every school. If you are in Ontario Western and UofT post their stats up every year on the statistics of the entering class of that respective year. 

you'll find more information there. Generally you are looking at around a high 80s average to be relatively competitive(so around a 3.9) :)

Hope this helps!

All you need is a 3.9 ish?

I was under the assumption that you need a high 3.9, since that's what they look at mostly.

If you're an undergrad who is in-province in Ontario, definitely 3.95+ is preferred these days - but not needed. You can definitely get in with a low 3.9 but as evident through pm101, this cycle undergrads were rejected preinterview at UofT despite having 3.89-3.94. However, I personally think the ones who were rejected with 3.92->3.94 fell below UofT's DAT expectations.  

1. Not really to be honest. It's good to have but not a requirement

2. Yes, i like to compare medical school to a marathon, it's long and hard. Dental is like a 100m sprint....Yeah you get it. 

3. It's hard to say in Toronto atm...but it varies. 

4. It's different for every school. If you are in Ontario Western and UofT post their stats up every year on the statistics of the entering class of that respective year. 

you'll find more information there. Generally you are looking at around a high 80s average to be relatively competitive(so around a 3.9) :)

Hope this helps!

that maybe true to some extent..however, not completely though, since applicant-to-admission stats have actually been pretty similar for both professions. yes, to qualify as an applicant for meds, you need more things, but once you have qualified, i think the stats are similar.

that maybe true to some extent..however, not completely though, since applicant-to-admission stats have actually been pretty similar for both professions. yes, to qualify as an applicant for meds, you need more things, but once you have qualified, i think the stats are similar.

aha you're right, I may have jumped a bit with his question 

I was saying once you're in :) dental school is more like a sprint 

It is, if you're sure you don't want to specialize.

I never cared about my grades in dental school, I just focused on learning what I needed to know to practice.

I never did very well on exams testing useless crap that would never be relevant to my job.

If you have any interest in specializing though....well that's a whole other story.

Oh yeah.......

the amount of material is quite overwhelming

Archived