Premed 101 Forums

Pursuing A Second Degree? What You Need To Know.

DarkGhost

12 minutes ago, Vons said:

My hunch is that you're probably fine as long as you can point to two introductory physics courses that are roughly equivalent to the courses at McGill. If I were you I would email admissions to ask specifically if it's okay that they were completed at a non-North American school.

You've already read through this page, right? They seem to be pretty reasonable about it I think.

Thank you! I had read it. But I am asking to be on the safe side. I emailed them last week but still haven't heard back. I'm not in a hurry as I will apply next year, but wanted to check if anyone has experience with the situation. Another question is: as per the page you linked, the validity period is now not an issue right? It used to be 8 years iirc.

Edited by Panda M.D.
added a new q

1 hour ago, Panda M.D. said:

Thank you! I had read it. But I am asking to be on the safe side. I emailed them last week but still haven't heard back. I'm not in a hurry as I will apply next year, but wanted to check if anyone has experience with the situation. Another question is: as per the page you linked, the validity period is now not an issue right? It used to be 8 years iirc.

Yeah you're right, they got rid of the 8-year expiry policy. I know that you can petition them for certain classes to be considered as prerequisites, so I'm sure that between that and you having an entire degree in physics, they'd consider your background to be sufficient. That said, they do seem to require students with non-North American degrees/coursework to jump through some extra hoops, so it doesn't hurt to make sure. Good luck!

25 minutes ago, Vons said:

Yeah you're right, they got rid of the 8-year expiry policy. I know that you can petition them for certain classes to be considered as prerequisites, so I'm sure that between that and you having an entire degree in physics, they'd consider your background to be sufficient. That said, they do seem to require students with non-North American degrees/coursework to jump through some extra hoops, so it doesn't hurt to make sure. Good luck!

Yes, to avoid having to jump through the hoops I’m getting a second degree from a Quebec university. I’ll be a permanent resident by the time I apply (hopefully). So I’m hoping everything will be in order. Just taking two courses in Physics clashes hard with my 2 year program and seems too tedious. (Also ethically I shouldn’t be allowed to)

• 5 months later...

Good morning,

I am just trying to have guidance so I can take my future schooling decision wisely.

Here is my story:

Study in Ulaval for 45 credits from 2010-2012 . I had a really low gPA with no real goal.

Since 2018, I am studying in Queen's part time (mostly 3 courses per semester or 9 courses per year). My current gPA is 4.2/4.3, i'm around 51 credits.

I want to apply in med school some time in the next few years. I probably need a school that will be forgetting toward my first endeavour in university. Mcgill seems to be a good choice for that.

Here are some questions I have.

Is there any other school that will not use my grade from uLaval toward my application?

If i complete a 90 credits bachelor in Queen's , will it be enough for my application at mcGill or should I complete a 120-credits degree. Will McGill considerer only my grade in Queen's even if my first degree is not completed?

Do you have any specific advice for someone in my situation.

Thanks for you time

This is really appreciate

On 11/27/2020 at 5:23 AM, BN33 said:

Good morning,

I am just trying to have guidance so I can take my future schooling decision wisely.

Here is my story:

Study in Ulaval for 45 credits from 2010-2012 . I had a really low gPA with no real goal.

Since 2018, I am studying in Queen's part time (mostly 3 courses per semester or 9 courses per year). My current gPA is 4.2/4.3, i'm around 51 credits.

I want to apply in med school some time in the next few years. I probably need a school that will be forgetting toward my first endeavour in university. Mcgill seems to be a good choice for that.

Here are some questions I have.

Is there any other school that will not use my grade from uLaval toward my application?

If i complete a 90 credits bachelor in Queen's , will it be enough for my application at mcGill or should I complete a 120-credits degree. Will McGill considerer only my grade in Queen's even if my first degree is not completed?

Do you have any specific advice for someone in my situation.

Thanks for you time

This is really appreciate

For McGill, I'm pretty sure they only consider a second bachelor's degree if you've totally completed and graduated from the first. If this is the case, then your 45 credits from Laval would still be considered in your cGPA.

The other problem might be the 3 courses per semester. I know that some schools won't consider this full time, even if you're taking additional courses in the summer (which is what you seem to be doing if you're taking 3 courses per year, right?). I don't remember what McGill's policy on this is.

As for whether you should complete a 90 or 120 credit degree I'm not sure. I didn't know that any schools outside of Quebec offer 90 credit degrees.

I'm not super familiar with Ontario schools, but if you can take full time coursework during the normal academic year, you might have a good shot at Western, Queens, or Ottawa for med since they look at your top/most recent 2 or 3 years of GPA.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your quick answer.  Taking 3 courses definetly seems to shut down multiple options. I am going for 4 next semester, but working full time in the military and being a dad make it definetly more difficult to take more course.

From my understanding all others school consider only 5 courses as a full course load? Do you know if others school are accepting smaller course load and only looking at your last degree or year?

Any general advice.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, BN33 said:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your quick answer.  Taking 3 courses definetly seems to shut down multiple options. I am going for 4 next semester, but working full time in the military and being a dad make it definetly more difficult to take more course.

From my understanding all others school consider only 5 courses as a full course load? Do you know if others school are accepting smaller course load and only looking at your last degree or year?

Any general advice.

Thanks again

No problem. Yeah, your course load will probably be an issue for many schools. That said, I think Queens considers 3 courses/semester to be a full time course load. Of course it's risky to apply to only one school, but it might suite your situation enough to give you something to focus on. McGill on the other hand does require 4 courses/semester. Sometimes schools will take exceptional circumstances into consideration and let you submit a letter to explain/take responsibility for sub-par academic performance, or lack of full time studies during certain periods. I don't really know what the procedures for this are, so you'd have to find out from each school. McGill also used to have a "Non-Traditional Pathway" entry program, but they got rid of it and folded it into the regular admissions process, so they might be willing to be more flexible - but you'd have to ask them directly to find out.

As for other schools, I'm not really sure - you'd have to go through all the different admissions websites to see exactly what they require.

If you're in the military you could look into the Medical Officer Training Program. Even if the program itself doesn't interest you, maybe they can offer you some guidance.

• 1 year later...

Hi there -

I have a question regarding French Med schools in Quebec. If pursuing second degree, will they look at only DGPA or will it be CGPA for both degrees. 

Is it the same as Mcgill where you need to complete 45 Credits by Nov1st deadline?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I got a question regarding the 45 credits for the second degree. I saw a comment from 2020 saying that courses using a Pass or Fail are not allowed to be used as new 45 credits. However, one of my friend wrote to the Admission and apparently Pass or Fail classes are acceptable as part of the 45 credits (he asked about a course that can only be graded P/F). 

Anyone got info on that (if I must trust my friend or someone here).

Also, using a B.Com as a second undergrad, anyone know any recent success stories on that (Thinking of dropping it if and take a second B.Sc. instead)?