Premed 101 Forums

Interview preparation

Guest Uche

For those of you who got accepted, what is the best way to prepare for interviews? I've started reading CMAJ and some other medical journals I can get my hands on. I just want to know what your suggestions are. I don't like leaving things to the last minute. Thanks.

Guest strider2004

I'm going to answer this from a Queens perspective.

Honestly, they don't really care how much medical knowledge you have. Overall, they'll want to be able to imagine you as a(their) doctor/colleague. You'll be interviewed by 3 people - a community member, a med student, and a faculty member. Each one has a vote and they also want to see how you interact with the 3 people. When you're talking to the community member, you can bet that the other 2 are watching how you treat that person.

They also want to see that you've put enough thought into your choice of medicine. Yes, reading CMAJ would be a good example of that but it's not a very big thing. One girl knew everything about Queens' program and Kingston but her lack of sincerity was very apparent.

In terms of ways to prepare...mock interviews are always good. Thinking about answers is very different from saying them. Get friends to tell you how you present yourself.

To learn more about the different interview types, go to http://www.interviewfeedback.com. They have all the schools listed with entries from various interviewees.

The biggest piece of advice people will give you is to be yourself. I'll take it one step further and say be SINCERE.

Guest strider2004

As for personality, I do believe that your personality does change a bit while in med school. I've found that when I'm with non-med students, my conversations are more one-sided, like an interview. I've become very good at reflecting other peoples thoughts. You learn to absorb everything about a patient's life while giving away little information about your own. Incidentally, many people like that(like at bars and clubs) because you're sincerely listening to them and they appreciate that.

Med school can teach people how to be good doctors. As for being a friendly person...just like Ian said...hopefully you learned that in childhood. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This question is in regards to what was said in the last post about " learning to absorb everything....while giving little info. away about yourself." Do you think the interviewers are looking for people with that specific skill? If so how would that come across in an interview?? How can you give honest answers and at the same time show them that your not an open book? OR, am I just thinking way too much here?

Guest MarcisWelby

I don't think that he was saying that this is the best way to present at your interview but rather that this is how med school makes you. At your interview it is important to reveal something about yourself as they seem to look for thoughtful and reflective people. Put another way everyone will have done some interesting things but you will be judged largely how well you express what you have learned from these experiences. Often questions concern items from your autobiographical sketch so make sure you have thought about these experiences. Also interviewers generally have not read your essays so definitely reuse those answers if asked a similar question. After all you spent a lot of time thinking about those answers.

Guest Ian Wong

reahg,

I think you're over-thinking here. When a med student like myself or Strider2004 interview someone, the secondary goal is to obtain as much information from them as we can, so that we can begin the primary goal of helping them. However, revealing a lot of personal details about yourself can lead you away from the medical direction of the interview, or side-track it completely. It may also jeopardize the objectivity of the interview, and this nebulous being known as the doctor/patient relationship. Therefore, in such an interview, often times you try to distance your personal life from your medical and professional one.

When you are being interviewed for the medical school interview, they are trying to find out as much information about you as possible. Putting up defensive barriers at this point is absolutely counter-productive, because these people are trying to find out whether you would be a good fit at their medical school. They could very well ask you what you learned by travelling to country "X", or what you would do if confronted with a particular ethical dilemma, or what was your greatest mistake, best personal characteristic, etc...

The interview is your chance to show the real person behind the transcript and MCAT scores. Don't hide it! :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived