Premed 101 Forums

Really Disappointed In Myself. - Interviews

I am such a doof. 

I had an interview for a research position and I feel like I bombed it.

I studdered, and could't answer the questions properly.

This is just 2 weeks after I bombed another interview for another job.

I honestly feel like crap since when someone asks me a question- I can't answer properly in certain situations like an interview.

Hopefully I get the research job , I have a 1/5 chance since only 5 people were interviewed.

Has anyone every failed at interviews and what is some advice on improving?

I'm thinking I'm going to join the debate club.

My dad was right. Im too book smart and not enough "street smart" ( can't talk to people well).

I am such a doof. 

I had an interview for a research position and I feel like I bombed it.

I studdered, and could't answer the questions properly.

This is just 2 weeks after I bombed another interview for another job.

I honestly feel like crap since when someone asks me a question- I can't answer properly in certain situations like an interview.

Hopefully I get the research job , I have a 1/5 chance since only 5 people were interviewed.

Has anyone every failed at interviews and what is some advice on improving?

I'm thinking I'm going to join the debate club.

My dad was right. Im too book smart and not enough "street smart" ( can't talk to people well).

Practising with friend who have interview experience in a standardized setting will probably help you. I know at my University we had mock interviews that could be set up with the career centre to stimulate the environment and give you feedback on your interview skills. 

Other general ways to help:

1.) Write speeches - articulate, on topics you like and just go over them in your head and recite them with the inflection and tone you think would be appropriate, lets say giving a lecture to your class on topic X --> giving lectures or presentations was how I saw people improve drastically in their oral skills - being able to articulate your thoughts in constrained time always did wonders for interviewing skills as well

2.) Debate club I guess like above will definitely help, people keep saying join toastmasters, not sure what it is really - but might be worth it for you as well

3.) Explain concepts from your courses to your friends, get into tutoring! Again, I feel being able to teach others makes for the ability to answer questions in an interview, if someone asks me a question - I go into an explanation of my traits and what not which helps me be articulate and provide very good answers

Now, for the other aspects of an interview such as dressing appropriately, sitting straight up and having a calm expression but friendly - your non-verbal cues are important - turn your body towards the interview and arms relaxed, not folded and look at your interviewer - make sure to smile when appropriately

The last thing which is still a bit hard for me sometimes - Small talk - learning how to do it is hard but toastmasters and joining social clubs will definitely help

Oh and for bombing interviews...Well, it was my first time being interviewed for a job and I only did 2 minutes of prep googling the company. And when it came to the interview I practically told the interviewer my life story LOL. I felt so exposed after I came out. No one knew me as well as that person did, haha. It was not how I envisioned it would go.

PS: The 2 min of googling came in handy when I got asked what I knew about their company. :)

I used to be extremely withdrawn and socially silent- you would be hard pressed to find someone more quiet than me. I'm pretty much the opposite now and I would say public speaking is what made the difference. Ever since I started to TA, my personality changed drastically (how can it not, when you have to talk to 30 uni students and not look dumb). I think involvement in ECs, especially those where you interact with many people, and then moving upto to ECs where you have to talk while others are listening are helpful in overcoming this block. Once your confidence builds, there are few things that can stand in your way.

Good luck.

I would like to add that there are websites like "interview stream" where you conduct a simulated interview in which there are videos that ask you questions and then your answers are recorded and you can go back to review and analyze them. This helped me quite a bit for my interviews. I suggest you check it out, it's very convenient because you can do it whenever you like and dont need a 2nd person. My school's success center (career services or something) had a username and password for interview stream, your school may have it too. It's worth a try.

I had an interview from my dream research position but I slept through the interview time because my alarm clock was set at 3:30AM instead of 3:30PM. I emailed them back and no response, so I'm guessing that's that. Lost a potentially amazing research/lab experience.. haha - if that makes you feel any better :P

For interviewing, don't overthink it and expose yourself by volunteering etc. and it will make you less nervous during.

Archived