Premed 101 Forums

Workbook - Credit Count For Program?

RedLily

I'm finishing off my workbook, and I have two things I'm having trouble with. Any advice would be appreciated!

1. I'm not sure what "credit count for program" range to put on my workbook. For my undergrad I have 22.75 credits (1 half year course is worth 0.5, a lab was worth 0.25). So I'm wondering if I should select the ">45 credits" or convert this to McGill's 3 credit hour system, so that my 4 year undergrad would be about 120 hours (technically I think I have 136.5 hours), and then I'd select the "105-134" range (or I guess the "135-164" range?)

I also have a master's, but for that I think I'll select the ">45" range, since it was thesis based and I only took 2 courses :P I emailed admissions about this but the response wasn't very clear to me.

2. One other thing is that my mandatory courses had the course and the labs as two separate entities. I got 0.5 credits from each semester class and then an additional 0.25 credits for taking the mandatory labs. But the workbook only has one spot for each course (Basically my problem is that I need 4 boxes for all my biology prereqs, chemistry prereqs, etc. but there are only 2 for each subject). What I'm thinking is that I would combine my lab and course marks to create one grade, worth 0.75 credits (adding the 0.5 and 0.25 from the course and lab together). So it would look something like this:

In my BIOL 140 course I got 90%, in the lab I got 82%. So I would do something like: (90*0.5)+(82*0.25)/0.75 = 87 (credit weight of 0.75)

Ahhhhhhh, I really hope that made sense! Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi Red.

1. I think you should ask the Admissions Office, as 22.75 credits for undergrad just looks like an incomplete degree. I think it would need to be converted. Same for MSc (although I have MSc with 7 course credits and 38 for the thesis)

2. Ask admissions, basically they are there to answer any questions and I'm sure if you call it might even be more clear than by email.

Hi Red.

1. I think you should ask the Admissions Office, as 22.75 credits for undergrad just looks like an incomplete degree. I think it would need to be converted. Same for MSc (although I have MSc with 7 course credits and 38 for the thesis)

2. Ask admissions, basically they are there to answer any questions and I'm sure if you call it might even be more clear than by email.

Hi, thanks for the input!

The 22.75 credits is a complete degree. Each semester course is worth 0.5, so at my university you do 5 credits a year (10 courses x 0.5 credits = 5, 5 credits a year x 4 years = ~20 on average, I did labs so I got extra credits ). I don't know why there isn't a universal way to count credits haha. And I got a response back that said choosing the 105-134 range should work! So hopefully I'll hear back about the other question and I'll be good :D

Archived