Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have To Explain A Course Withdrawal?

U of T says...

"Are there any reasons why your transcript does not reflect your true academic ability? If yes, provide any reason(s) you believe your transcript does not reflect your true ability or why your transcript has gaps, course withdrawals or less than a full course load. Do not assume that a rater will be able to find this information within your file materials"

In 2nd year I withdrew from an organic chemistry course. It was an extra course I took, so I would have had 5.5 credits for the fall/winter term. I dropped it a month into the course because I realized taking on an extra course that I did not require was a dumb decison. I received no acadmic penalty, but on my transcript the withdrawal date is listed. Now I am currently retaking the course in order to fulfill the requirements for Ottawa.

Should I both explaining this to U of T, even though I maintained a full course load at the time, and I retaking it now anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

Well, the question does ask for explanations for course withdrawals so you most likely do need to explain it, especially since your reason is not related to academic difficulties with the course (i.e. you were not bound to fail when you dropped the course). Although I am sure you know this, just word it more eloquently than it being a "dumb decision" :)

Archived