Premed 101 Forums

Entering Declined Nserc Award On App?

thsc

I was awarded an NSERC earlier in the summer but wasn't able to accept it because I was offered another position elsewhere that was more permanent and had better prospects for my purposes. Hence, I had to decline it. However, although a fair number of people have NSERC, it's also not easy to come by since only a small fraction of students (less than 10) in any given department get it. Do you think it would be ok if i list the award and indicate that I declined it or would it look like padding? 

Would love to get insight from current med students on this too!

There were some awards I had to decline and I wanted to show that I was offered those awards (Which were relatively competitive). What I did was say "Offered Scholarship XYZ" which makes it clear it was offered but doesn't say much more. I felt is sounds better than using negative words like "declined" lol.

There were some awards I had to decline and I wanted to show that I was offered those awards (Which were relatively competitive). What I did was say "Offered Scholarship XYZ" which makes it clear it was offered but doesn't say much more. I felt is sounds better than using negative words like "declined" lol.

Lol that's a good idea. Did you go on to elaborate in your description that you didn't accept it or declined it? Also, what do you think in this case for the NSERC? Do you think it's competitive enough for me to go through with it? 

Lol that's a good idea. Did you go on to elaborate in your description that you didn't accept it or declined it? Also, what do you think in this case for the NSERC? Do you think it's competitive enough for me to go through with it? 

I didn't elaborate. I thought it better to leave the interpretation of my wording upto the adcom, lol.

I would say it depends on your profile. If you have many awards already, then the declined NSERC doesn't add much. But if you don't have very many, then it may be worth it to include. The decision is upto your discretion.

Archived