Premed 101 Forums

How Does Omsas Contact The Verifiers ?

The whole point of having a verifier is to have someone that is impartial who can vouch for the fact that you've completed an activity. 

Unfortunately this isn't accomplished via email. I could create an email account and simply pose as whoever it is that I'm selecting as my verifier. This same flaw could arise over the phone as well, but it's more difficult to pull off that way, and giving them multiple identifying features will decrease the likelihood of this happening even more.

I sympathize, I'm feeling awful bothering my verifiers, but it's just the way it goes. It's like getting finger printed at your MCAT...after doing all that hard work and preparation, it's really to your benefit that the process is so secure (that way, no one can claim that you cheated / falsified your verifiers, etc.)

The whole point of having a verifier is to have someone that is impartial who can vouch for the fact that you've completed an activity. 

Unfortunately this isn't accomplished via email. I could create an email account and simply pose as whoever it is that I'm selecting as my verifier. This same flaw could arise over the phone as well, but it's more difficult to pull off that way, and giving them multiple identifying features will decrease the likelihood of this happening even more.

I sympathize, I'm feeling awful bothering my verifiers, but it's just the way it goes. It's like getting finger printed at your MCAT...after doing all that hard work and preparation, it's really to your benefit that the process is so secure (that way, no one can claim that you cheated / falsified your verifiers, etc.)

Thank you MathToMed,

From your perspective, do you think they would call the verifiers and start asking them questions (i.e. how do you know X, what did X do) or would they just simply call them and say this individual said Z, would you confirm this? 

And I'm guessing they would almost never decide to use mail for the verification process.

if a school is going to contact a verifier it seems historically to always be by phone. For obvious reasons they aren't going to make it completely clear what their policies are but calling someone at a verifiable phone number seems to be the primary method.

thank you - would you happen to know if they provide the verifier with the information I submitted and ask them to confirm it, or do they start asking questions and more information?

1. MD schools will NOT contact verifier if they are not going to give you an interview and/or admission, so if your verifier was called, luck you, they are interested to give you an interview and/or admission.

2. If your GPA is 3.9+ and MCAT is balanced 35+ with normal average ECs like sports, volunteers, musics, tutoring, nothing big or special, I don't think they need or have time to call your verifier. 

3. If your GPA and/or your MCAT below their average but you have something special ECs that they like you, in this case they may contact your verifier for these special ECs, mostly by phone call first.

4. If your verifier didn't back you up (like you said  you volunteered 8 hours a week for 4 years but your verifier said you only volunteered 4 hours for 2 years) then you're screwed.

1. MD schools will NOT contact verifier if they are not going to give you an interview and/or admission, so if your verifier was called, luck you, they are interested to give you an interview and/or admission.

2. If your GPA is 3.9+ and MCAT is balanced 35+ with normal average ECs like sports, volunteers, musics, tutoring, nothing big or special, I don't think they need or have time to call your verifier. 

3. If your GPA and/or your MCAT below their average but you have something special ECs that they like you, in this case they may contact your verifier for these special ECs, mostly by phone call first.

4. If your verifier didn't back you up (like you said  you volunteered 8 hours a week for 4 years but your verifier said you only volunteered 4 hours for 2 years) then you're screwed.

Thanks !! 

So I am assuming they would almost never use mail to contact the verifiers - perhaps as someone else pointed out, asking for address is only their way of adding another filter to the whole process.

False. UBC contacted 2 of my verifiers, who fully verified my activities. Did not get an interview.

False. UBC contacted 2 of my verifiers, who fully verified my activities. Did not get an interview.

Sorry I'm wrong.

Never applied UBC. Not before, not this cycle.

I applied 6 schools in Canada and interviewed two schools in Ontario last cycle, my verifiers never contacted by any schools.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I'm still wondering if you guys think they will just call the verifier and tell them to simply confirm what I told OMSAS, or would they call the verifiers and start asking them questions (i.e. how do you know the student, how long have the student been working with you, etc) 

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your input.

I'm still wondering if you guys think they will just call the verifier and tell them to simply confirm what I told OMSAS, or would they call the verifiers and start asking them questions (i.e. how do you know the student, how long have the student been working with you, etc) 

Thanks

Well they don't advertise that but as I understand it it will be an open question - ie there is some rigour to the check. Of course you verifiers should already be told exactly what you said on your app to help. No surprises.

Well they don't advertise that but as I understand it it will be an open question - ie there is some rigour to the check. Of course you verifiers should already be told exactly what you said on your app to help. No surprises.

Honestly, the physician I work with is too busy to remember all the details I'm sure. Even if provide him with everything, and they call him at the "wrong time", not sure if he can recall everything.

• 4 years later...