Premed 101 Forums

Issue With Referees Receiving Reference Email?

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone else was having issues with their referees not receiving the reference form email from Calgary after submitting the request to have your refrences emailed numerous times. I contacted the applications department and they said it’s an issue with my references security with their email, so told me to ask my references to add the ucalgary email to their safe senders list or ask for a personal email address, both of which are tedious tasks and I feel like I am annoying my busy professors for this! Adding to the safe senders didn't work for them so now I had to ask for my professors personal emails which is pretty annoying I believe, I would not want to be emailed at my personal email address for school related issues. I have contacted Calgary numerous time and they for some reason do not think that this is their issue or an issue at all. I am extremely frustrated with Calgary for this!

University of Alberta has the same format for requesting references, however my references received an email from them almost immediately after I submitted the request. I was wondering if others were having the same issue. Because if that is the case then, I believe something needs to be done!

Sincerely,

One Annoyed Med School Applicant!

Honestly at this point your options probably are:

1. Go on strike and refuse to apply. How dare UofC make your life so difficult! You'll show them!

2. Suck it up and send the emails to your professors' personal emails. Do whatever it takes. This is your future on the line and UofC is not going to miss you if you don't apply.

It seems to be hit and miss. I have had no problems with online reference requests, except one for UoA (worked after a re-send though). You just gotta work around it and, most importantly, identify and solve the problem (if there is one) ahead of time. Good luck.

I'd maybe consider contacting the IT department at your university. They may have some sort of security protocol out of the control of your professors that would equally affect applicants in your same position. The IT department may have some further insight they'd be able to share with you. I'm glad it worked out for you, nonetheless!

Archived