Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Sketch for Older Applicants

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

For those of you who applied to med school after a number of years (or who reviewed applications of older applicants), did you include items back to high school? I have a list of everything I did from the age of 16, but it seems weird to me to include things from 12 years ago. High school seems so long ago! I'm not sure if including these activites dilutes some of my more recent activities. What did other people do?

Thanks for your help,

Elaine

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Elaine,

No, I didn't include activities from high school. However if you've filled the application with all of your activities post-high school and still have room to spare, then you might consider adding the high school activities.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

You do not need to include your high school activities or any activity that you don't think is relevant to your application. They are asking for a list of the things that you are proud of that you would like to share with the admissions committee for the purpose of strengthening your application. They are not going to look to see if you have a 'complete' list or not (ie left some things off).

The reason why high school activities are permitted in the first place is because for some applicants it is only 3 years in the past... and also, by stating explicitly that you may list activities after the age of 16, they avoid having people list things like 'class track and field champion - Grade 2'... which isn't relevant at all.

Archived