Premed 101 Forums

Transfering To Other Universities To Increase Chances Of Acceptance?

bruhh

I'm currently in 3rd year at York University. I am an honours psyc majors.

My first year GPA= 2.67, my 2nd year GPA = 3.87 (I went through some very tough times during first year due to personal issues, hence the subpar GPA). I suspect my 3rd and 4th year GPAs would also be around 3.85-3.9, however.

Being in ontario sucks, all the schools here get around 2000-4000 applicants and they accept between 2.5%-5%, and that's from all provinces. On the other hand, out of prince medical schools such as McGill, Dalhousie, Calgary, Alberta, Manitoba, UBC, etc all place heavy preference on applicants from their own province..

With my terrible first year GPA, residence in Ontario, and such competitiveness, I do not see myself going anywhere unless I do something about.

I'm thinking of transfering to McGill (or any other out of province uni) so that I can apply to McGill's Medical School as a Quebec resident (or any other out of province uni as a resident). This would increase my chances exponentially.

Should I transfer? I can definitely maintain a 3.85+ GPA for my 3rd/4th year but even with that, my first year GPA is terrible, and I was not taking full course-load so, no, UofT will not drop the 6 lowest marks.

Also, will being a transfer at McGill undermine my application to their medical school?

Thank you all so much.

It's a big decision and I don't know if I'll be able to handle the loneliness at a province where I don't know anyone. I've decided to either transfer to a university in Alberta to finish undergrad, or Manitoba.

EDIT: UofA requires only 1 year of residency. Manitoba requires 2 years. My best bet currently is UofA. UofC also requires 2 years of residency. 

double posstttt cause yolo..

Univeristy of Alberta Residency Requirement

Albertaresidencyrequirement_zps4dc46813.

says I will NOT be considered an IP resident if I'm taking full-time studies there during that 1 year of residence. So, there is no point to transfering to an Albertan university if studying there will not gain me ip stauts :(((((

What about UBC? All you need is a provincial care card I believe. Look into that

double posstttt cause yolo..

Univeristy of Alberta Residency Requirement

Albertaresidencyrequirement_zps4dc46813.

says I will NOT be considered an IP resident if I'm taking full-time studies there during that 1 year of residence. So, there is no point to transfering to an Albertan university if studying there will not gain me ip stauts :(((((

So wait up,  just a thought.

Could you hypothetically just work there for a year. Then your second year start school and then apply for med?

That could be potentially be better than staying in ontario.. not getting in.. doing a masters.. not getting in.. redoing undergrad etc.

Just a thought.

Just another thought,

Since I'm already in 3rd year, why don't I finish studies here in ontario, then move to Alberta, work there for a year and then apply to med school? the oil rigs around edmonton and lloyminister are are always hiring and they pay well!

Just another thought,

Since I'm already in 3rd year, why don't I finish studies here in ontario, then move to Alberta, work there for a year and then apply to med school? the oil rigs around edmonton and lloyminister are are always hiring and they pay well!

If you read what Birdy said it seems like it'll be 24 months soon.

I have a couple friends who went there and made quite a bit of money. Apparently they made 60k per year. Possibly more.

• 3 weeks later...

You misread. The "study permit" =/= attending university here. You can technically study here for a year and be considered IP.

Yea, as long as I stay the summerin alberta my IP status would still be valid. But I was hoping to gain IP status for both UofC and UofA, 2 years is just too long, I don't know if I'd be able to handle it.

What won't you be able to handle?

Moving to another province and living there alone without any social networks. I like my life here in Toronto. I have family, friends, work, etc. I really don't know if I can make such a drastic change in life just to potentially increase my chances of acceptance :/

I made the a cross-Canada move myself. It wasn't as big a deal as I'd thought.

The whole reason you're moving in the first place is so that you can stay there for med school, a 3/4 year commitment. The same social skills that got you your social network in the first place will likely help you in a new province.

Do consider the move. Even if it's a two-year IP requirement. The potential reward is huge, needless to say.

You could be at the cusp of Ontario cutoffs, which means moving to another province can make the difference. If you spend your whole life avoiding hardship, you may end up nowhere.

I made the a cross-Canada move myself. It wasn't as big a deal as I'd thought.

The whole reason you're moving in the first place is so that you can stay there for med school, a 3/4 year commitment. The same social skills that got you your social network in the first place will likely help you in a new province.

Do consider the move. Even if it's a two-year IP requirement. The potential reward is huge, needless to say.

You could be at the cusp of Ontario cutoffs, which means moving to another province can make the difference. If you spend your whole life avoiding hardship, you may end up nowhere.

You're right. I honestly do think about this every day. I have moved multiple times throughout my life (not just city to city, across continents as well). Although each time you have to make the necessary adjustments to adapt to a new lifestyle, it kind of comes naturally. I am borderline competitive for Ontario schools, I haven't taken the MCAT but my wGPA and EC's would be fairly strong IF I do well this year, so I'll make the final decision once I have finished his academic year.

Why not manitoba? You'll probably have the easiest time. Cheap housing, tuition one of the Lowest in Canada, friendly residents (the friendly manitoba slogan I can assure is very accurate), and the most fair med school to get into in Canada.

Unfortunately, my first year GPA is very low. My chances are limited to schools that include adjusted GPA formulae. 

University of Manitoba will drop your lowest 30 credit hours if applying with 120 credits. You can find all of their formulas here, on page 7: http://www.umanitoba.ca/student/admissions/media/medicine_bulletin.pdf

Wow... thank you.

How did I not know about Manitoba's AGPA. Can't believe I missed that. Also, this is the most transparent application instruction manual I've seen a medical school produce besides McMaster.

~60% of eligible IP applicants get interviewed

~40% of interviewed IP applicants get accepted

Operative MCAT Avg: 11 (That's equivalent to an MCAT of 11/11/11 )

AGPA Average: 4.22/4.5 (roughly equivalent to 3.85/4.0 )

No EC's

Very low tuition

Great people (Or so I've heard)

It all comes down to pretty much your MCAT and MMI

I might just make this move. It may be worth it, perhaps even more so than moving to Alberta. Calgary still has a 60% emphasis on top 10 which I may not be as strong at, and Alberta's stats are pretty high even for an IP.

Just gotta tackle that MCAT hurdle next summer.

I'm just surprised how easy it is for IP residents to get into Manitoba. Is Manitoba really in dire need of physicians or something?

I am thankful every day that I am a Manitoba resident. U of M is basically the only Canadian university (that I've noticed) that doesn't place such rigorous expectations on its applicants because they understand that life happens. I've had to take semesters off for my own well being, I had an awful first year, and U of M is so forgiving of that. Looking at the requirements of other universities, I feel like most of them make the assumption that their applicants have the ability to take at least 30 credits per year while still having time to start a nonprofit, befriend Bill Gates, and save the world. That's just not possible for me.

This is not to say that it's necessarily EASY to be accepted (they place a ton of weight on the MCAT and the interview, and if you bomb one or the other, you are unlikely to get accepted). But compared to Ontario's clusterF, it's a much smoother process imo.

A lot of people aren't aware of how great Winnipeg is! You should definitely make the move. Good luck. :)

Archived