Premed 101 Forums

Returning To Canada Before Vs. After Residency/post-Grad Training

tl91

Hi all,

I understand the significant risks associated with going to an international medical school and fighting for residency spots back in Canada as an IMG - the doors to most specialties are effectively shut for IMGs.

Is it any easier to return to Canada if I complete both medical school AND residency/equivalent post-grad training in another country? It would be in one of the 29 international jurisdictions recognized by the Royal College - does this increase my chances of being able to practice in Canada at all? I know all foreign-trained doctors are required to complete at least 1 year of clinical training in Canada before certification. What about the 5-year Return of Service contract, or is that only if I complete residency in Canada as an IMG?

I know the path of going to the US (MD or DO) would likely be more straightforward, but local tuition to these schools, even for a 6-year program, would still be less than one year of international tuition fees in the US...

Thanks,

tl91

Hi all,

I understand the significant risks associated with going to an international medical school and fighting for residency spots back in Canada as an IMG - the doors to most specialties are effectively shut for IMGs.

Is it any easier to return to Canada if I complete both medical school AND residency/equivalent post-grad training in another country? It would be in one of the 29 international jurisdictions recognized by the Royal College - does this increase my chances of being able to practice in Canada at all? I know all foreign-trained doctors are required to complete at least 1 year of clinical training in Canada before certification. What about the 5-year Return of Service contract, or is that only if I complete residency in Canada as an IMG?

I know the path of going to the US (MD or DO) would likely be more straightforward, but local tuition to these schools, even for a 6-year program, would still be less than one year of international tuition fees in the US...

Thanks,

tl91

Need more details.

Unless it is FM from the UK, Or Ireland, you are going to be hard pressed and driving a taxi.

Doing a medical degree is the easy part, getting a residency will be the part that matters. Go to Poland for cheap tuition and likely end up without a residency? Or get a line of credit and go to a school in the US and be pretty much gauranteed a residency.

Archived